American looking for touring partner/s in UK or just advice

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
OnYourRight

Re: American looking for touring partner/s in UK or just adv

Post by OnYourRight »

MattC2789 wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1s3lUcpAv-4

This was so interesting I ended up watching the whole thing! I’m just left wondering about Kathie.

You’ll have to do something similar – this time in HD! – for your UK trip.
lisap

Post by lisap »

Just watched the video all the way through and it brought back a lot of memories of places I've cycled through, thanks for sharing it with us.

For accommodation consider warmshowers rather than campsites. We just don't have the same infrastructure in place with State or National Parks and hiker/biker sites and the private campsites that are open here are extortionately expensive.

Good luck with your trip wherever you choose to ride.
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

You don't need to use roads to get 40 miles away from London. The river Lea path is perfectly ridable and takes you into north herts. Not a single road involved.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Looking at this from a slightly different angle, one of the easiest ways to lose time can be navigating on unfamiliar roads. The days are gone for most of us when you could aim for a distant destination using only the main roads so minor routes now have to be used and these are rarely direct. Inevitably, this navigation problem tends to be worst where there are lots of junctions. These can be in conurbations, where only the regular cycle commuters know the best routes, or out in the sticks, where the signing of unclassified roads can be unreliable.

If you don't want to lose time navigating, some of the longer distance Sustrans routes may be helpful, especially if you want to do a place-to-place tour like London-Edinburgh. The complete opposite might be to go somewhere with plenty of quiet roads with lots to see (in terms of architecture etc) and then pick a base and do a bit of exploration with a couple of Ordnance Survey maps. I make no apology for suggesting North Norfolk once again, as being ideal for this. Somebody above mentioned Yorkshire: We do have loads of good cycling territory here. But I would say that, wouldn't I? :wink:
RichardPH

Post by RichardPH »

Hi Matt,

With limited time and a desire to see some good bits, I'd go for an off-the-shelf route and presuming London would be the start point, then Wales offers a short end-to-end that could take in Stonehenge as an easy add-on. On and off-road routes can be found on this site

http://www.sustrans.org.uk/ncn/map/rout ... ymru-north and of course
http://www.sustrans.org.uk/ncn/map/rout ... ymru-south

There are direct train services London-Holyhead where the ride starts, doing it this way round means you don't finish in Holyhead which is a ferry terminal and not a lot else. Bikes go free on some trains, the service to Holyhead is run by Virgin, last time I used them there was a small charge, others may know better?

To get to Stonehenge just keep following the cycle routes from Cardiff over the Severn Bridge and head towards the Salisbury area. The Bristol-Bath cycle path is on a disused railway and excellent for all types of bike. Plan an overnight in Bath, it's a lovely Georgian city with many Roman remains to see. Prepare to be slightly underwhelmed by Stonehenge, it's quite commercial in the same way as Niagara Falls, I know you'll still go, I went to the Falls, but 'they' were right to advise me not to bother. Salisbury is also very nice in parts and has a direct train service back to London. See http://www.thetrainline.com/ for times and costs, buying a ticket early and collecting it the station [you use the card you bought the ticket with] will save a huge amount.

Hope this helps, might be good to post your plans when they're clearer, may tempt some to join you on route.

Cheers, Richard
MattC2789

Post by MattC2789 »

Thanks again to all of you who have offered such wonderful suggestions. Now that I've had more time to think about it and based of of your suggestions here is what I am thinking.

1. I want to do a large circularish route that both starts and finishes in London. I would probably take the train to the outskirts of town to avoid nasty traffic.

2. I'm thinking I will make Cardiff Wales my destination before I turn around and take a different route back. I would like to stop at Bath and Stonehenge on my way there but am seriously considering dropping Stonehenge because the general consensus seems to be it is overrated.

3. Google maps tells me it is about 190 miles from London to Cardiff via bike. I figure with a different return route (Possibly a bit further North) my total ride will be about 400-450 miles. This seems to be a practical 6 day ride although I'll only have 7 full days in the UK to spend and I want to take my time enjoying some of the sites. I also want to spend 1 full day in London (either before or after) exploring there. Is there a train from Cardiff to London. Possibly I could just tour around that area and ride back depending on how much time I have left? Is this route very hilly? I could do 80 miles a day easy if it were flat, if not I should probably reconsider riding both ways.

4. The Sustrans site seems like a great resource and I will spend some time heavily researching the best route and places to stay/camp along the way. My only concern is that even with a printed map I may very easily get lost on the back country roads. Might have to bring a GPS or just a good old fashioned compass and road map.

5. I'll be doing this the last week of August/ First week of September. When I have done a bit more research I'll post my route here. If some of you would like to join me for parts you'd be more than welcome:)

Thanks for all the kind complements about my bike across America video . I plan to do something similar on this trip. Since someone asked about my sister in the video (Kathie). I dedicated the video in her memory. That trip was one of the last times I unfortunately ever got to see her. Shortly after she died in a fire that swept through her apartment building. She was only 25. I'm glad that cycle trip gave me an opportunity to spend time with her that I otherwise would not have had.

Well thanks again everyone, happy cycling! Matt
drossall

Post by drossall »

Cardiff-London is more undulating than hilly, for the most part. Wikipedia has outline topography information, including the linked map, which lets you see where the main hills and plains are located.

Wales has some real mountains, but mostly west and north of Cardiff. I'd argue that, having got as far as Cardiff, you ought to loop that way to see (and climb) them. Try looking up the Brecon Beacons and the Black Mountains (as opposed to the Black Mountain).

The UK's Ordnance Survey maps are famously good. You probably want the 1:50000 series for cycling, if using paper maps.
PaulSB

Post by PaulSB »

Just be aware the weekend of August 23/24/25 is a public holiday. It's the last before Christmas. You may find trains are busier than normal and also accommodation.

Someone mentioned Virgin trains. In my experience this is the worst company for getting a bike on the train. Without a reservation you won't get on. That said you can make the reservation at the station minutes before travelling PROVIDED there is space available. .
Monsieur

Post by Monsieur »

Caravan club sites have to accept cyclists?
Is that true and has anyone out it to the test?
Solvitur ambulando
Monsieur

Post by Monsieur »

If you've never been before then I see no reason not to visit stonehenge - I'd cycle to it and observe from a little distance. You won't see more from paying to visit.

As for travelling times - UK children return to school the first week of september so could lead to much quieter roads for you.
Solvitur ambulando
horizon

Post by horizon »

Monsieur wrote:Caravan club sites have to accept cyclists?
Is that true and has anyone out it to the test?

No, they'll probably refuse you entry (as I have personally discovered) on their certificated sites and will do so on their own sites. The Caravan and Camping Club (note the difference) have a policy not to turn you away on their own club sites (not their certificated sites).
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
OnYourRight

Post by OnYourRight »

Thanks for the info about Kathie. That is just terribly sad.

•••

Enjoy your trip, Matt, and let us know when the video goes up on YouTube! Sorry I can’t offer much advice.
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

You have a good mostly off road route from Richmand park along the Thames Path heading in the direction you want to go. Along the lines of this: http://www.cycle-route.com/routes/Kings ... e-533.html if you want to visit some of London. Windsor Castle at the end of the linked ride is one of the ancient royal seats, and still a royal residence today. This route also goes past Hampton Court Palace. You can train it from Windsor.

Many people are terrified of the idea of cycling around our biggest city. In reality there is no need to be. If you want countryside the whole way, there are probably better countries to visit (nothing personal Wales). If you want history and heritage, then don't overlook the big smoke.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

drossall wrote:The UK's Ordnance Survey maps are famously good. You probably want the 1:50000 series for cycling, if using paper maps.

But not for all of a 450 mile circular route. You'd need a trailer :wink:
meic

Post by meic »

I'm thinking I will make Cardiff Wales my destination before I turn around and take a different route back.

I think most of the people recommending a visit to Wales were not thinking of Cardiff and parts East of it.
Cardiff would be where a trip to "Wales" would be starting rather than ending.

A compromise might be to make a triangle from Chepstow going up to Brecon and then down to Cardiff on the Taff Trail, then take the train back to somewhere else.

Of course the "Real Wales" is out West beyond civilisation (if Swansea can be called civilisation) though some may say that is just a biased personal opinion. :lol:
Yma o Hyd