American looking for touring partner/s in UK or just advice

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
MattC2789

American looking for touring partner/s in UK or just advice

Post by MattC2789 »

Hello,

I'm a 37 year old male from the US (Washington, DC) and I want to take a bicycle tour in the UK. My time off of work will only permit me to do something about a week long. I was thinking possibly riding from London up to Edinburg (or reverse) which is about 727 kilometers (452 miles). Was thinking to do this in the late summer or early fall (August or September). Is this an ok time of year to ride this area? What are the roads like? Are there lots of camping options along the way? Any other recommended UK routes? I'd like to do something where I either start and/or finish in London as I have always wanted to go there. Anyone care to join me?

A little about me. I am a casual cyclist. I commute to work by bike everyday but I am far from being a serious racer. I can probably ride about 80-130 kilometers a day over flatish terrian. 10 years ago I rode my bicycle across the USA (see my video link below). I prefer to camp when bike touring but am not opposed to staying at an occasional motel. I'm a pretty laid back guy and was looking for some like minded people who might like to do something like this.

Cheers! Matt :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1s3lUcpAv-4
james01

Re: American looking for touring partner/s in UK or just adv

Post by james01 »

Enjoyed your video!
Can't join you, sorry, but hope you have a great tour here in the UK.
rollinbone

Post by rollinbone »

Sri cannot join u

Tip
Due to school holidays in england that run from mid july to end of august you may find some camping sites packed (some also double their prices)
Camping and Caravan club sites however have a policy never to turn away cyclists (its in their rule book) see-

http://www.campingandcaravanningclub.co.uk/ukcampsites

They also are reasonably priced
PDQ

Post by PDQ »

Could I a suggest a spin round or through Wales. Beautiful scenery, easy camping, wild and on sites. Sea, beaches, woodland, mountains and above all quite a reasonable, often quiet, cycle network. Oh and friendly helpful folk!!!
Get the weather and it's the best. But it does rain sometimes!
Graham O

Post by Graham O »

London Edinburgh is a journey, but not the best part of the UK. I can second Wales as an option, particularly since I live there, but from London, head south west down to Hampshire, Dorset and Devon. Some of the best countryside in the UK, IMHO. August can be busy, but September still has great weather and often drier.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Assuming you are starting from London, there's absolutely nothing wrong with a tour to Edinburgh.

London is a huge place by the standards of the UK and the suburbs extend a long way, but that would apply to a tour in any direction, unless you left London by some other form of transport. If you want largely flat(ish) you can follow the cycle route up the East Coast, or if you like it hillier, there are good routes through the Yorkshire Dales and beyond.

One thing you may find about what are by our standards the really hill places ( :lol: ) ie Wales and the Scottish Highlands is that in many places the only roads that go anywhere are busy main roads.

PS ON the subject of the weather, you can cycle into a headwind in pouring rain at any time of the year in the British Isles. :wink:
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Catch a train to York. Gods own county has everything to give you some great memories of your trip, the best scenery, the best architecture, soaring coastline - heck you could even ride some of this years Tour de France route!

Go here http://www.yorkshire.com/ for everything you might need for a fantastic trip. :D
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
MattC2789

Post by MattC2789 »

Thanks for the tips everyone! I am actually now considering possibly riding to Wales instead? Possibly stop at Stonehenge on my way to/from London? One thing I have noticed is that the country roads in the UK seem extremely narrow (atleast compared to here in the US). They look beautiful but am wondering how bike friendly they are?
keithg

Post by keithg »

I would recommend narrowing your tour by thinking about what appeals to you most in the UK, history, culture, cities, mountains or coastline.
I think (as a Scot) that the finest touring is on our west coast (of Scotland) but some might want the quaint rural villages of the Cotswolds or the cathedral cities of Southern England or the flat coastline of Norfolk etc etc. I don't think there's a typical UK but would agree that the Yorkshire and Wales options would be excellent if you felt that Scotland would need a longer holiday (it would, it would!).
Our country roads are great for cycling if you can avoid the main "A roads" which you generally can with a bit of planning.
If you prefer you could use the Sustrans national cycle network as a skeleton to base your tour on. They won't be fast, they won't be always the best quality of pavement but they will be bike tourist friendly and quiet. http://www.sustrans.org.uk/ncn/map
North and central Wales have excellent touring with a big contrast to DC, climatically, scenically and ... culturally!!!
If you want more tips, keep posting, most of us here love to recommend our favourite rides to visitors, just don't expect a concensus!
Neil Wheadon

Post by Neil Wheadon »

Differences to the USA
1) We don't have shoulders which many USA roads have so you will be with the traffic. Therefore avoid the red coloured A roads and try to use the yellow coloured minor roads (colours on the map)
2) I've seen one motel in the UK and that was shut. Travelodges are the most similar. However we do have B & B 's which are just like the American version. Some pubs do accomodation as well, so try one for true British authenticity
3) The gradients are much steeper than the USA where 8% are the norm for long climbs. There are sections of 25% so bring low gears, but the hills are shorter than the USA
4) Think Pensylvania or parts of New England for the up and downyness
5) Montana for Wales, but steeper roads
6) Dakota for Wiltshire - well prettier than Dakota
7) Take the scenic advise. Please don't fall into the London and Stonehenge trap, you're on a bike where getting inbetween is important, however the Wylie Valley and the Kennet and Avon area connecting are very oretty

Good Luck
Neil
Former CTC Tour Leader, now with Bikexplore
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

For London Edinburgh, I'd do something similar to the London Edinburgh London route http://www.routeyou.com/en-gb/group/vie ... lel2013.en
From central London, follow the river Lea via the Olympic park to start off. Map at bottom here http://blog.ctc-cambridge.org.uk/2013/0 ... -fast.html
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
Graham O

Post by Graham O »

As Keithg said above, don't expect a consensus on which part is best and even within Wales, there will be big debates about North, Mid or South Wales. Of course, North Wales has Edward's castles if you like a bit of history. :)
drossall

Post by drossall »

The mountains of Wales are definitely worth a visit, as are the Pennines between Manchester and Sheffield, the Lake District in the North West, the Yorkshire Dales (look up the route of the first stage of the Tour de France), and many other areas.

Travelodges, mentioned above, famously let cyclists keep bikes in their rooms.

CTC touring services should be worth a look. Some are member-only, but are probably available to members of overseas equivalent organisations. It must be worth asking, anyway.

Why not draft a broad route and let people here comment on specifics?
PaulSB

Post by PaulSB »

I would make two suggestions, well three really, the West Coast of Scotland, the Outer Hebrides or the Pennine Cycleway from Derby to Berwick on Tweed (a signed Sustrans route). Each are from personal experience.

Speaking as an exiled southerner I'd suggest, at the danger of upsetting many(!), you will find better cycling, quieter roads, fewer people and more varied scenery in the north and Scotland.

If you want a cycle buddy for a day and do visit the north-west let me know. I can only manage a day as I'm off for two weeks in France in July.

Wherever you go use the train to get out of London and make maximum use of your time in our wonderful countryside.
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

PaulSB wrote:Speaking as an exiled southerner I'd suggest, at the danger of upsetting many(!), you will find better cycling, quieter roads, fewer people and more varied scenery in the north and Scotland.

That is good advice - even country roads can be pretty busy anywhere within forty miles of greater London. When I am down that way the greater amount of traffic is hugely noticeable.