Eurostar - luggage allowances

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
AMC

Eurostar - luggage allowances

Post by AMC »

We're just about to leave for a fully laden trip down the Danube on our 20" wheel folders when I belatedly discover this on the Eurostar website:
If you’ve got an adult ticket, you can take a maximum of 2 bags with you on the train. That’s as long as each item is no longer than 85cm. You can also take one small item of hand luggage.
We can put the 4 panniers each into laundry bags (already a bit dicey in size) but the bikes are a bit over that size in their bags :( Does anyone know how strict they are likely to be on the 6.50am Friday train to Bruxelles?
spicerack

Re: Eurostar - luggage allowances

Post by spicerack »

I think the 85 cm limit is due to the size of the luggage racks on the train, but you find an empty rack can squeze the bikes in on a slight angle.
AMC

Post by AMC »

Thanks - do you think they'll haul us up at check-in for the size of the bags though?
spicerack

Post by spicerack »

I've took a slightly oversized bike bag on last summer, there was nobody there with a tape measure trying to catch us out. It's more of a practical restriction to ensure you can go through security and store on the train. So, as long as it's not way oversize you shouldn't have any trouble.
I remember there are some other posts on here from last year if you want more details.
AMC

Post by AMC »

Thanks Spicerack - that's what I wanted to hear! I know luggage space is a bit limited on those trains but haven't been on one for a while so was worried they might have really tightened up. But sounds as thought they'll probably be reasonable so that's good! I did do a search for a previous thread but was obviously asking the wrong question - I'll have another try