Switzerland cycle route 5 & Eurovelo route 5

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)

Switzerland cycle route 5 & Eurovelo route 5

Postby Aikon » Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:24 pm

I'm cycling back to the UK from Friedrichshafen in late August and am looking at riding across Switzerland on their National route 5 to Basel then heading north alongside the Rhine on Eurovelo route 5 via Luxembourg, has anyone ridden any of this & got any advice or tips? I'll be on the road bike I did JOGLE on last year so the odd bit of light trail is ok but I'm keen not to get properly off-road!
Aikon

Re: Switzerland cycle route 5 & Eurovelo route 5

Postby foxyrider » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:19 am

Its certainly all road bikeable - some nice places en route - i did it in 3 fairly easy days.

You have two options for car ferry across the lake, Konstanz and the actual Friedrichshafen ferry but you can also take a bike on most of the passenger ferries.

Are you camping or B&B?
Convention? what's that then?
foxyrider

Postby Aikon » Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:50 pm

Ah good to hear, I'll be using b&b's along the way, I shall probably book ahead but am quite tempted to just ride each day & see where I end up. Day 2 from Zurich to Strasbourg looks tough on paper at 143 miles along the Rhine but the elevation is largely downhill so probably achievable. Then I'd have roughly a century every day back to the channel & figure out how I get home from there.
Aikon

Postby foxyrider » Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:41 pm

I think i'd miss going to Zurich if i could and just follow the Rhein - the ride across to Zurich from Bodensee is fairly lumpy and especially if you want a high mileage up to Strasbourg i'd avoid the directish Zurich - Basel bit - there's even a minor but still significant pass on that bit! :roll:

You going to the bike show?
Convention? what's that then?
foxyrider

Postby Aikon » Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:32 pm

Cheers for the tip, I've got a friend at Nurensberg I'll be visiting but that's as close to Zurich as I'll go, I'll check the elevations carefully!

I am off to the show, I'll be working there from Monday to Friday then cycling back to the UK instead of helping pack the stand away!
Aikon

Return to Touring & Expedition