Thames path

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
MrBassTrombone

Re: Thames path

Post by MrBassTrombone »

I just cycled the from the source of the Thames (near Kemble) to Southend, around 200 miles in 3 days. Basically, not to be recomended as there are many narrow tracks and muddy fields along the way. Google and Bryton maps can be very misleading as sometimes the route was impassable. I found the Source Stone in a field full of cows but after that didn't see the river at all for ages. The official "Thames Path" is really for walkers. If I were to do it again I would stick to roads or National Cycle Network routes. Having said all that, there were also many enjoyable towpaths and thorough London to Dartford is very interesting. Taking the free ride through the Dartford tunnel was also fun!
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

You didnt by chance take any pictures of the source? I wouds like to see them if u did. I agree from central london to dartford a nice ride. I have done it many times. from yuppy riverside rich dwellings to industiral heritage & the last bit before u get to dartford, grass sided track
MrBassTrombone

Post by MrBassTrombone »

Here is a photo of the stone marking the source of the River Thames. It's in a a remote Gloucestershire meadow full of grazing dairy cows.
The Source Stone
The Source Stone
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

makes u wonder how on earth the Thames comes from that!
spider2106

Is it possible to ride the Thames path ?

Post by spider2106 »

Is it possible to ride the Thames path?
flash

Re: Is it possible to ride the Thames path ?

Post by flash »

I rode bits of it today, some of it has bike specific paths and some is narrow footpaths with steps. So yes and no...
bungle73

Post by bungle73 »

Which part? The section from Putney Bridge to Hampton Court is absolutely rideable, and one of the best cycle rides in London imo. I've done it several times. I think it's possible to ride slightly further than that, but I've never ventured further than HCP. That takes me an afternoon anyway, and HCP makes a great finale to the ride.
rotavator

Post by rotavator »

When I was working down there, may be 8 years ago, Staines to Chertsey Bridge was easy enough and Staines to Runnymede could be muddy and was a bit rough/rutted in places but was passable.