Lyon to the Alps - September 2014

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Cheltourer

Lyon to the Alps - September 2014

Post by Cheltourer »

Hello, I am planning a cycle camping two week trip from Lyon, with initial goals to ride around Mont Blanc. This will in the middle two weeks of September. Apart from the climbs I hope to take it easy, but I know my bike will be loaded. Any recommendations and places to avoid etc. would be appreciated. Cycling companions too for that matter would also be welcome.
jamesgilbert

Re: Lyon to the Alps - September 2014

Post by jamesgilbert »

How about following part of the ViaRhona from Lyon to somewhere near Annecy (http://www.viarhona.com/) before heading east into the mountains towards Chamonix?

I'd avoid the Arve valley (through Bonneville, Cluses, etc.) as it's full of industrial sites and a big motorway.
whoof

Post by whoof »

I did the opposite direction a couple of years ago Milan to Lyon. Unfortunately I can never remember exactly where I've been so I'll have to check my diary and get back to you. I know that we were planning to ride up the Col du grand St Bernard but due to bad weather we went up the Petite St Bernard instead from Aosta. I was told in advance that this might be busy with traffic but it was really quiet. I do know we stayed in Albertville, Lac Annecy and a couple of days in Bourg d'oisans.
Cheltourer

Post by Cheltourer »

Hello guys,

Thanks for the tips, I found the Via Rhone website useful - not heard of that bike route before.