opening of Col d'Aubisque 2014

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
ANTONISH

opening of Col d'Aubisque 2014

Post by ANTONISH »

I'm due to set off on the tourist raid mid June. It appears that the road between the Col d'Aubisque and the Soulor is closed and is likely to be so for some weeks. I'm going to e-mail CC Bearnaise to find if there is an approved alternative, but it occurs to me that there may be others undertaking the raid (either version -this part of the route is common).
I've trawled the internet but there doesn't seem a definite date.
There does seem the suggestion that although access by car is not possible there is a possibility of making it by cycle.
Any information appreciated.
andrew_s

Re: opening of Col d'Aubisque 2014

Post by andrew_s »

If it's the road between the Aubisque and Soulor, with both cols accessible, it will probably be that one of the built up sections along the cliffs in the Cirque du Litor has gone off down the hillside. If that's the case, it's unlikely that you would get through on a bike if the road is still officially closed. If you go up without confirmation, make sure you give yourself enough time to retreat and go round the long way.
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

Thank you for that.
I was aware of the landslide but there seems to be work in progress. I have the feeling that it will remain closed though for some time.
The detour through Louvie-juzon and back up the Soulor will be about 70k and several hundred metres of climbing extra-I'm hoping I can get a definitive answer-climbing the Aubisque and having to descend for the detour will make for a long hard day.
aquilo

Post by aquilo »

Hi
I had the same problem last year on the tourist raid, also the Tourmalet was closed. Check out http://pyreneescycling.bike/col-du-tourmalet-open-2014/ for up to date info on all the cols

In the end I had to route through Lourdes and pick up the route around the Col de Aspin. Unfortunately although I finished the ride I had missed some of the control points so no medal! But it didn't matter as it's a great ride whichever way you go.

I don't think many would have completed the full course last year with the Tourmalet out for so long from one side.

Just go and take it day by day

Cheers
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

Thank you for the reply Aquila. I sent an e-mail to cc Bernaise yesterday and had a reply today. If the Aubisque is closed I can go via Louvie-Juzon and climb the Soulor from Arthez-d'Asson to rejoin the route. That's a bit further and a bit less climbing so I suppose it evens out.
I understand that the Tourmalet isalready open from La Mongie and is expected to be open from Bareges very shortly (maybe already). Thats my planned stop - it may be a bit of a shock riding uphill for 11k first thing in the morning - hope it's not snowing :( .
The reason I'm doing the tourist raid is that 100hr raid didn't give me much opportunity to linger and enjoy the spectacular scenery (not with at the speed I ride at - and my girlfriend insisting on a "proper" lunch.)
And I'm doing the tourist raid on my own :)