Back road to Ty'n-y-cornel YHA closed

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
andrew_s

Back road to Ty'n-y-cornel YHA closed

Post by andrew_s »

We arrived at the Llyn Brianne end of the track last weekend to find that it had been fenced off with 4 by 1 and notices saying "Road Closed 16th May for 18 months, for reconstruction"
We took the view (correctly) that nothing other than the notices would have happened yet, so lifted the bikes over the barrier and carried on.
The problem turned out to be water erosion down the steep section of the track about a half mile short of the hostel, with a baby gorge up to 8 feet deep and 2 or 3 feet wide. It looks like the track will be properly shut once they get going with the rebuild.

The normal access from Llanddewi-Brefi is unaffected.
fausto copy

Re: Back road to Ty'n-y-cornel YHA closed

Post by fausto copy »

That's some washout!
hamish

Re: Back road to Ty'n-y-cornel YHA closed

Post by hamish »

We cycled over it at new year in a rainstorm when the erosion was happening. It was quite a sight. It is truly wrecked now - OK on a fat bike but a pain for tourers.

One of the main problems here is 4x4 damage. They drive modified land rovers over it and cut deep ruts that channel runoff water down the steep slope. It soon cuts deep gullies and wrecks the track. I am amazed the council is going to repair it. I wish they could close the road to motor vehicles. I hope the repairs are sensetive and that the 4x4 drivers don't wreck it again as soon as they can.

Another problem with the erosion Is that the turbid water running off the track polluted the usually clear river Doethie for days.