Best/favourite snacks for on the bike

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Gearoidmuar

Re: Best/favourite snacks for on the bike

Post by Gearoidmuar »

For approaching six months I've been on a 50g max Low Carb high Fat diet so my preferences are changed.

I used to have a small fry in the morning with lots of toast and cereal and then lunch and dinner. Few snacks.

Now, when touring, a large fry, avoiding starch like potato etc. Two eggs, two sausages, three rashers, a piece of black pudding and a fried tomato. No bread at all.

Dinner, no starch.

Middle of the day or when hungry on the road, chorizo and/or sliced cheese, preferably cheddar and water.

That's it.

Incidentally, I lost 8lb doing Lejog with CTC on that, recently. Wasn't hungry. Chorizo is great stuff. A Chorizo ring costs about 2 quid and Spar, Tesco etc. all have them and it's very widely available. Cheese is everywhere.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

90miles yesterday.

Two mugs of tea, three rashers of fried streaky bacon and a fried egg plus two rounds of buttered toast, washed down with another mug of tea.

Off and away into the morning sunshine at 08:15.

Fifty miles later - non-stop. At 12:00 I pulled into lay-by on the A39 at a burger van and had a huge cheese burger and onions, plus a mug of tea.
Forty miles later at 15:10, I popped into the local boozer and downed three pints of Otter Amber, then cycled the half mile home.

I'd left with a 500ml bottle of water (and nothing else) and drank half of it during the ride. When I got home, I poured the other half down the sink.
Mick F. Cornwall
mjr

Post by mjr »

I don't know if this is still current but you might want to go easy on the chorizo: http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle ... essed-meat - I didn't find it on NHS.uk, but the heart foundations still seem to be advising caution on cured meat.

Most things in moderation...
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Italia50

Post by Italia50 »

Milky way bar x2. And sometimes real lemon juice mixed with water, zzzzing!!!
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

The water bottles filled with ambrosia rice pudding reminded me of what kept me going one hot day last year in The Netherlands - I bought a carton of what I thought was chocolate milk-shake but it turned out to be chocolate-flavoured custard! Kept me wheels turning all day that did...
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Mini salami & crystallized ginger in the HB bag, banana/chocolate and salami/cheese sannies in the saddlebag. And to hell with the heart foundation, if you're on an Audax you can eat anything you (oh what a rude word) well like.

Am currently investigating Ovaltine as a recovery drink: sugar, protein, milk fats - what else do you need? Oh, salt. Well, feel free...
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Gearoidmuar

Post by Gearoidmuar »

mjr wrote:I don't know if this is still current but you might want to go easy on the chorizo: http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle ... essed-meat - I didn't find it on NHS.uk, but the heart foundations still seem to be advising caution on cured meat.

Most things in moderation...

These are "association studies". Association studies are notoriously unreliable. About 85% of the conclusions turn out to be false in the longterm. What an association study is is the attempted statistical linking of something like a food or a habit with a result. A good example is smoking with lung cancer. That turned out to be correct. Another example is coffee with cancer of the pancreas. This turned out to be false. The confounding factor was that smokers drink a lot more coffee than non-smokers.. and so on.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Gearoidmuar wrote:These are "association studies". Association studies are notoriously unreliable. About 85% of the conclusions turn out to be false in the longterm. What an association study is is the attempted statistical linking of something like a food or a habit with a result. A good example is smoking with lung cancer. That turned out to be correct. Another example is coffee with cancer of the pancreas. This turned out to be false. The confounding factor was that smokers drink a lot more coffee than non-smokers.. and so on.

Totally off-topic (sorry) but I have thought that the same applies to the quite a lot of the "statistics" surrounding the wearing of safety gear whilst cycling (helmets and hi-vis). There seem so many variables in a continually changing situation (road safety wise) and little detailed analysis to prove a causal relationship (either way).

Not trying to stir-up a helmet/hi-vis debate here (as I am neutral/uncertain/etc.)

Ian
Gearoidmuar

Post by Gearoidmuar »

Psamathe wrote:
Gearoidmuar wrote:These are "association studies". Association studies are notoriously unreliable. About 85% of the conclusions turn out to be false in the longterm. What an association study is is the attempted statistical linking of something like a food or a habit with a result. A good example is smoking with lung cancer. That turned out to be correct. Another example is coffee with cancer of the pancreas. This turned out to be false. The confounding factor was that smokers drink a lot more coffee than non-smokers.. and so on.

Totally off-topic (sorry) but I have thought that the same applies to the quite a lot of the "statistics" surrounding the wearing of safety gear whilst cycling (helmets and hi-vis). There seem so many variables in a continually changing situation (road safety wise) and little detailed analysis to prove a causal relationship (either way).

Not trying to stir-up a helmet/hi-vis debate here (as I am neutral/uncertain/etc.)

Ian

I can't disagree!
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

How on earth did this thread get to three pages?

End of debate!
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

Nah. Soreen makes my teeth hurt.
:-)
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin
paultheagle

Post by paultheagle »

hi everyone

a big thank you to all your replies.

i thought long about the responses and went for some granola bars (almond/chocolate) that were on sale at my local waitrose. i chose them because i could pack a few into the sides of my seat bag as well as my bar bag (they got a bit squashed but perfectly edible) - these and my 1.5 litre water bottle (along with the odd espresso stop) kept me "bonk" free :D

5 days and 250 + miles later, i'm back from the Netherlands and had a lovely time on my first euro trip.