Loch Glashan, Argyll

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
nosmarbaj

Loch Glashan, Argyll

Post by nosmarbaj »

Hi

We're touring Argyll in June. On one day we need to go from Kilmartin to Inveraray (and onward). We could just do A816/A83 via Lochgilphead, but it seems we could take a shortcut from Bridgend, NE by road and then eastwards using the Loch Glashan cycle route.

Has anyone done this? Would it be OK for laden touring bikes?

Thanks.
andrew_s

Re: Loch Glashan, Argyll

Post by andrew_s »

What's visible on Geograph looks entirely suitable for touring bikes
http://www.geograph.org.uk/gridref/NR8691
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

I'm not a local and I'm not familiar with The Loch Glashan Cycle route but I imagine it's on forestry tracks.

I have travelled the road along the southern shore of Loch Awe (B840). We were heading north to south from Cladich and camped overnight by the shores of the loch. I would have thought it would be a more pleasant option than the Lochgilphead route and much the same mileage.
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

From what you're describing I guess you are cycling from Oban towards Kilmartin first. I cycled along the A816 north to south last year. It's a hard undulating road (and I was cycling into a hard headwind) but I expect you know that. As already said your suggested route is on a forest road and these tend to rate from good to very sticky if it's been raining hard.

I've had a look at the Forestry Commission Scotland Map Viewer and it looks like to do the trail it will also be undulating (from 60m to around 130m) although some of the trail runs along the contour lines rather than up/down them. Also (from experience) sometimes you can walk/cycle through these forested areas and depending on the height of the trees and fall of the ground see nothing to very little of the very sight you're most expecting to see!
nosmarbaj

Post by nosmarbaj »

Thanks for the replies.

I'd forgotten about Geograph - the track does look pretty good.

The B840 does look nice, but it's marginally further to Inveraray, and has 300m extra altitude gain (according to Bikehike). We'll be doing Rest and be Thankful after Inveraray so I'd like to minimise the climbing before we get there. Also we'll be doing the N side of Loch Awe the day before (Oban - Taynuilt - Kilmartin).

I know that sometimes forestry tracks are a bit closed in but this one looks like it might be OK. Height gain is similar to the road route, and it is shorter..

I'll discuss with my friend and we'll probably do the track if it's reasonably dry, otherwise go via Lochgilphead.

Cheers
BARRACH

Post by BARRACH »

I have cycled round Loch glashan on a hybrid and I would say the forest road will be fine with full panniers.
I have a leaflet from FOREST ENTERPRISE called Cycling in the Forest and the direction given states
"Theroute begins at a right turn signed ADD PONDS 3km north east of Kilmichael Glassary. It travels through
open grazing land for the first 2km and passes the farm at Barrachuile before entering the forest and climbing up
beside the River Add. The route then leaves the river and passes the conservation ponds on the site of an old
gravel pit. You then turn right at the junction and shortly find yourself on the red route round the loch."
The address given for this leaflet,which has about 10 different forest routes around Argyll in it, is Kintyre
Forest District Offices, Whitegates, Lochgilphead, Argyll .