Pack-away rain coat and trousers

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Bike-Rich

Pack-away rain coat and trousers

Post by Bike-Rich »

Hi all,

I've been reading about ponchos and similar but think a standard rain-jacket (with hood) and over-trousers for when it starts coming down heavy would be best.

What would you advise guys for around a 60 GBP budget?

Thank you,
mjr

Re: Pack-away rain coat and trousers

Post by mjr »

I'm currently using a kag in a bag and second hand rain legs, total about £20. I get wet around the edges but I've never found waterproof trousers that didn't catch on either top tube or cranks, and some water always dribbles in from my face if the neck is comfortably loose. At least these pack down small.

If I had £60, I'd try some of http://www.tenn-outdoors.co.uk/jackets/?ViewAll=true (I've one of their windproof jackets from last season and it worked well), a flask for hot coffee that fits in a bottle holder and some good coffee.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
johnonhisbike

Post by johnonhisbike »

I agree with mjr on the 'cheap jacket' suggestion. I use a pull-over mak-in-a-pak I got from Decathlon a couple of years ago for less than £10. With the hood up (under my helmet) and zipped up to the chin it's kept my arms and 'core' nicely dry even on days of heavy persistent rain. (A buff around my neck also soaks up the odd drips that get through - at least for a good while). I wear waterproof trousers, which I wrap at my ankles and fasten with reflective velcro straps (instead of cycle clips) and I've never had any problems with them snagging. I've used this set-up quite happily now for several tours in the UK in all seasons.
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

I hope I'm not hijacking this thread - how do you keep your feet dry (as cheaply)?
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin
mjr

Post by mjr »

I just get wet feet, but some swear by plastic bags between socks and shoes, with tops clipped inside trousers. Others prefer seal skinz.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
largeallan

Post by largeallan »

I use sandals....my bare feet are waterproof!
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

mjr wrote:I'm currently using a kag in a bag and second hand rain legs, total about £20. I get wet around the edges but I've never found waterproof trousers that didn't catch on either top tube or cranks, and some water always dribbles in from my face if the neck is comfortably loose. At least these pack down small.

I got over the rain legs problem by hacking off the bottoms of some waterproof trousers just below the knees. With a pair of overshoes I found this kept my legs reasonably dry and warm throughout a wet 200k Audax.
I'm inclined to agree that a waterproof but not breathable jacket works pretty well - particularly over a fleece or some such.
Breathability doesn't seem to last - I do have an Altura which seems quite good - at the moment - but I've had Gore-tex which didn't stay waterproof for long.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

In warm weather I like the sandals option too, but it suck sin the cold.

Sealskinz or similar waterproofs are good but not as good as you might like... the main point of dry in the winter is it happens to be a good way to help stay warmer (as water conducts heat away well), so if you have a thin layer keeping you dry which is soaked outside the water might not get at your feet, but it can take the heat away from them. Waterproof shoes/boots are, sadly, waterproof both ways, so any water running down your legs/socks will get inside, and stay there. Overshoes with the tops inside overtrousers are probably the best solution, but a great deal of faff.

For overtrousers I tend not to bother unless I can't avoid setting off in to a deluge, and then I just use my hiking/skiing ones. Not perfect, but okay. The side zips leak a little at the knees, but not to the point that's a problem.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
jamesgilbert

Post by jamesgilbert »

I've had a pair of very basic (and therefore lightweight) waterproof overshoes for the last few years. They look like they're about to fall apart but do a surprisingly good job of keeping my shoes dry, even in prolonged heavy rain. Combined with some not too expensive Vaude waterproof trousers, they work well.

The only difficulty is deciding when to stop to put them on!
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

jamesgilbert wrote:
The only difficulty is deciding when to stop to put them on!

Solved many years ago...

Step 1, it's started to rain, bah!
Step 2, it's not Proper Rain and/or it won't last more than a few minutes, I'll not bother breaking out the waterproofs
Step 3, well, I was wrong about that, better put them on after all...
Step 4, but I'm already soaked through, so what's the point?

Summary, you carry them, but never use them. (Corollary, doesn't matter what they are!)

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...