C2C routes by tandem advice....

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
pedal-pusher

C2C routes by tandem advice....

Post by pedal-pusher »

Hi there,

Me and my partner are planning a C2C trip in July on our tandem. I have had a quick look at some of the routes and liked the sound of "Reivers" as it dips into Scotland and as I was truly blown away by the scottish scenery when I did my End 2 End it sounded a good option. Im not sure however how ideal the route will be for a touring tandem (Dawes Super Galaxy). We also plan to camp so will be loaded and although we are experienced cyclsits we dont have the knowledge of the terrain on this route.

Can anyone tell us what the condition of the Reivers route is? i.e. surfaces / obstacles etc as the manoueverability of the tandem is a bit of a challenge! We have read quite a few reports but the information varies greatly.

If Reivers is not at all suitable Id love to hear of any alternative routes that would suit.

Thanks in advance :)
The difference between try and triumph is a little umph

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/VickyandPhil
coastman

Re: C2C routes by tandem advice....

Post by coastman »

Hi,
I did the Reivers route last year and its ideal for a tandem. It's 100% road. There is a section through Kielder forest but this can be avoided by taking the alterative road route. A really pleasant route on almost deserted roads.
pedal-pusher

Post by pedal-pusher »

Wow! Thanks for the reply, that sounds really positive ..... feeling quite excited now :) is the route well marked? Also kielder forest sounds nice...... is it fire track road or single track? Thanks so much for your help :)

uppadine

Post by uppadine »

My Reivers must have been a different one. There are quite a lot of connecting footpaths and tracks which can get muddy in wet weather. Most of it can be done on road, or indeed all of it if you know where to bypass the tricky bits, but the signing isn't as good as the C2C and you absolutely need the Sustrans map, as well as (ideally) a gps. But it's huge fun, and I'd recommend it wholeheartedly.
dellwood33

Post by dellwood33 »

This link may be of assistance :)

http://reivers-route.co.uk/the-route/
pedal-pusher

Post by pedal-pusher »

Thankyou!

Dellwood33 - Im a little confused by the map to be honest. Are the green lines off road and the blue ones road? There also seems to be gaps between sections. Am I being very dim!!?? :roll: :lol:

Are there any GPX files of the route?

I do have a garmin so that helps, but I have read conflicting opinions of the route in terms of terrain so Im guessing I need to plot the course carefully.

dellwood33

Post by dellwood33 »

In general the blues are normal roads & the green bits are tracks, some Sustrans & others like the Forest Track at Kielder, where I wouldn't go on anything less than a mountain bike & certainly not a tandem :)

I haven't been able to find any GPX files - yet.
RickH

Post by RickH »

The route link to does seem a bit bizarre!

It has big gaps in places & goes round in circles in others. I note also that it crosses a dual carriageway near Carlisle Castle where you would have to lift your bike over a fence in the central reservation at a spot that has "Do not cross here" signs along it (Streetview link)!! :shock:

Rick.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
loafer

Post by loafer »

defbref

Post by defbref »

Another possibility for you in the hadrians cycleway, its good cycle path or quiet minor roads all the way, and a really good route. I've ridden it several times and don't think there would be any problems for a tandem.

Good resource here: http://www.cycle-routes.org/hadrianscycleway/index.html
coastman

Post by coastman »

Hi,
I may have got a bit carried away when I said it was 100% road. There are of course short sections of off road but these were easily rideable. The signage is a bit iffy in places but if you plot the route out on a road map such as the Philips navigator it's quite easy to follow.
I arrived in Whitehaven by train at lunchtime and set away. That night a stayed at the Lynebank b&b in Westlinton, just north of Carlisle. The second night at The Pheasant at Stannersburn, near Falston and just south of Kielder village. By mid afternoon the third day I was at the finish in Tynemouth.
Regarding the footbridge in Carlisle I believe I stayed on the B5299 at Dalston into Carlisle (not following the river route) and just turned right at the traffic lights and onto the cyle path which gets you across this main road.
In real terms it is not as difficult as the the map makes it appear.
If you decide to do it i'm sure you will enjoy it.
Good luck.
pedal-pusher

Post by pedal-pusher »

Just a quick update - we are off to do the Reivers route on Thursday! :D :D :D

We are camping along the way and we have plotted the route using Ride with GPS cycle map onto our Garmin so hopefully all will go (fairly well!) to plan.

The only really expensive part of the trip is transporting ourselves, our tandem and camping gear fromn Whitley Bay to Whitehaven as we have used a sherpa service. We couldnt really seem to find a definitive answer on public transport for a tandem! Although if anyone knows any different feel free to let me know!

Ill come back and let you all know how it went. Thanks for all the advice :)

bikes4two

Post by bikes4two »

An alternative to consider as a C2C is St David's Head in Wales, to Lowestoft in Norfolk.

440 miles and all road, most of them quiet.

I might have my GPX track somewhere if interested?

It's a bit hilly in places getting out of Wales - I cycle camped solo and found it straight forward enough and I'd do it on our tandem if I could convince Mrs B4t :o
Without my stoker, every trip would only be half a journey
RickH

Post by RickH »

bikes4two wrote:An alternative to consider as a C2C is St David's Head in Wales, to Lowestoft in Norfolk.

440 miles and all road, most of them quiet.

I might have my GPX track somewhere if interested?

It's a bit hilly in places getting out of Wales - I cycle camped solo and found it straight forward enough and I'd do it on our tandem if I could convince Mrs B4t :o

Although conventional wisdom of prevailing winds favours that direction, I think the St David's Head end is a far more attractive final destination than Lowestoft. That's the way I did it in 2012.

Rick.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
bikes4two

Post by bikes4two »

I would agree that the Welsh in beats Lowestoft hands down but the train trip home from Lowestoft was the determining factor for me.
Without my stoker, every trip would only be half a journey