Centre 2 centre

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
ericonabike

Centre 2 centre

Post by ericonabike »

Hi. Been away from proper cycling [and this forum] for a while, but decided to do another 'targeted tour' this year. I've previously done JOGLE in 7 days and Leicester/Montpellier in the same time, but have gained a stone or so in the three years since then. And for the past year have really only used the bike for going into town. To wake myself up I've hit on a 'centre to centre' ride - from Meriden [geographic centre of England] to Bruère-Allichamps, its French counterpart. And yes I know there's never any certainty or agreement about where the centre of a country is, but both Meriden and Bruere have really nice [and very similar] monuments, so they gets my vote!

I'll be doing this at the end of July, this time allowing myself up to 10 days for the 600 miles or so. Travelling with just a rack pack and staying in hotels/B&Bs rather than camping. It will be interesting to see if 'muscle memory' can make up for a severe lack of fitness! Have to admit that it's the English part that I'm looking forward to least. From Meriden to Dover the most logical way would seem to be to go straight through London - if anyone knows of a bike-friendly, easily navigable north/south route through I'd be pleased to hear of it.
Motorists' mantra: Cyclists must obey the law and the Highway Code AT ALL TIMES. Unless their doing so would HOLD ME UP.
Barrenfluffit

Re: Centre 2 centre

Post by Barrenfluffit »

The lea valley can take you from the M25 south to the Thames. If your heading to Newhaven there are london-paris bike routes to take you out of the capital.