Heads up Aldi Camping/slumming it clothes

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Sweep

Heads up Aldi Camping/slumming it clothes

Post by Sweep »

https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/specialbuys/t ... -22nd-may/

From today.

I got the trekking sandals not for trekking (always wary of rubbing with cheaper stuff) but for slumming around camp.

A technical long-sleeved shirt in a rather naffish colour but looks like decent quality and of course cheaper than my Rohan.

Another technical button up short-sleeved shirt remaindered from last week - they are pretty good.

Two casual breathable polo shirts.

Compact fold-up rucksack - handy for popping in Brommie briefcase if I decide to pick up some food/beer.

Waterproof duffle similiar in design to Ortleib - not saying same quality but looks decent.

Self inflating mats might be oK - I don't know. Didn't get. Lidl was selling mats the other day may be the same I don't know.

The clothing seems very good for cycling/camping/evening relaxing out of camp.

Never spent so much in Aldi in my life :)

I'd be interested in other folks' views on the stuff.
Sweep
Barrenfluffit

Re: Heads up Aldi Camping/slumming it clothes

Post by Barrenfluffit »

also got the sandals, a long and a short sleeved shirt. Just running them through the washing machine as a test and to check drying times.
Polo shirts less convinced about from a touring pov. I've got a merino base for warmth so a thicker shirt is a bit specific.
The mats seem rather large.
Also got an "oil pen".

They had panniers too; looked ok but on the ones I had 7+ years ago the clips broke. Good for local use.

Also 3 man tent for 30gbp. 2 skin 2k hydrostatic head. 4.5kg. Looked a reasonable balance of attributes. likely to need better pegs and some tweaking but worth a punt for the cash strapped.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

You think the polo shirts too warm for cycling?

I bought a couple of the short sleeved shirts a week or so ago - tested on the brommie on a warmish day they seemed excellent, especially for the price. Just a pity not more choice of colours.

I have an aldi merino base layer - very good.

I agree that the mats looked way too big in the shop - i took a note of the packed size to compare with my thermarest in case they can be packed smaller
Sweep
Barrenfluffit

Post by Barrenfluffit »

Sweep wrote:You think the polo shirts too warm for cycling?

From a touring pov I want to wear the merino as much as possible to keep other clothes wearable. So merino+polo shirt is likely to be too warm and make the polo shirt need washing with every wear. Fine at home but a burden on tour.

Shortsleeved shirt is dry in 4 hours but long sleeved one still damp in the collars.
bogmyrtle

Post by bogmyrtle »

Bamboo underwear just doesn't sound right!
A bike does more miles to the banana than a Porsche.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

bogmyrtle wrote:Bamboo underwear just doesn't sound right!

I've got one or two base layers from Aldi with "bamboo" in them though I think it's only a certain proportion.

I'm no materials scientist (someone will be along soon no doubt) but I think they just process the fibre in some way don't they (ie the clothes aren't stiff and crackly!) and then kind of "reconstitute" (very definitely a non scientific term from me) them in some way.

It's surprising what you can do with chemistry - the Italian army in WII had boots (and maybe clothes) made out of milk.

Mind you they were pretty poor I think.

Maybe they'll make a comeback on the touring milk thread.

Suppose at least it makes more sense than bamboo bikes.
Sweep
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Barrenfluffit wrote:also got the sandals, a long and a short sleeved shirt. .

PS - I'm assuming the short sleeved shirt you mentioned are the ones that come in just two colour schemes - sort of checky light brown and checky blue?

As I said above I really rate them - pity they don't come in long sleeved as well - if you know of anything similar at a good price do let me know - am moving towards this style of cycling gear as I get older - I have enough race style tops to last me till I pop it.
Sweep
Barrenfluffit

Post by Barrenfluffit »

Two weeks away. The short sleeved shirts are fab. They have a chest pocket, collar for your neck, look reasonable and dry faster than cycling shorts. More useful than the merino top in warmer weather. Still need suncreme underneath but very practical. Makes black merino tshirt and shorts look like normal attire.

Sandals ok as general attire and in shower rooms etc.

Long sleeved shirt turned out to be slow drying so I didn't take it.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Hi Mr Fluffit.

I agree about the short sleeve shirts.

I've used them for cycling round town a bit - and as you say dry in no time because they open out so better than a normal cycling top, even casual, which will be a tube. They also seem very tough (tho better keep an eye on the buttons) and so will also be far better than a normal cycling top for washing on tour.

It's just a pity that there were no long-sleeved versions.

>>>Long sleeved shirt turned out to be slow drying so I didn't take it.

Am puzzled/intrigued/alarmed by this. You gave it a test wash in the shop?
Sweep
Barrenfluffit

Post by Barrenfluffit »

Hi,
:lol: that would be beyond cheeky!

I bought one, tried it out first and found out about the slow drying before departure. Also reminded me how useful zip off trousers are but It would be nice to have a smart normal colour.

I wonder if there's a suitable long sleeved shirt from "trekking".
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Barrenfluffit wrote:
I wonder if there's a suitable long sleeved shirt from "trekking".

Sorry, can you clarify?

Does Aldi have a trecking special coming up?
Sweep
Barrenfluffit

Post by Barrenfluffit »

Sorry I meant that clothes get developed for different markets and clothes for touring is a bit hit and miss. But there might be other products aimed at a different part of the outdoors market that would work. So possibly some clothes aimed at trekking might be suitable but I don't know of a specific special.