Best lightweight, packable warm layers?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
mnichols

Best lightweight, packable warm layers?

Post by mnichols »

What are the best lightweight, packable warm layers for the mountains?

I'm heading off to the Alps, Pyrenees and Dolomites this year, and looking for small light things that I can pack in case the weather changes but that won't take up much space

I'll be unsupported in the Alps and Dolomites and only taking two small panniers, so looking for hints and tips...someone mentioned the disposal gloves that you get for doing the washing up....that sort of thing

I'll have the normal layers that will cope with most situations (base layer, shirts, gillets, packable waterproof, arm and leg warmers, thin glove liners, waterproof socks, overshoes, etc) but looking for something in case the weather turns really bad, for chilly descents, or in case we break down.

any hints and tips?
andrew_s

Re: Best lightweight, packable warm layers?

Post by andrew_s »

mnichols

Post by mnichols »

Wow, that looks amazing, but more than I was expecting to pay. There is some great stuff on this website, but all very expensive.

Do I need to rethink? Should I be taking some proper mountain gear just in case? Or will layering cycling clothes be enough?

Was hoping someone might have some cheep hints and tips, but if I need to rethink and get some proper mountain apparrel then I need to know

Have been to Alps and Pyrenees before but was supported so took loads of clothes and when it good cold I descended looking like the Michelin Man. I'm unsupported this time and don't want to carry that much stuff
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Pyrenees very early June one year, a large saddlebag (all I ever use for hotel touring). There was lots of low cloud and the descents were chilly. I put on a rain jacket, a thin long sleeved top and a pair of tights for each descent plus a pair of thermal glove liners from a motorcycle shop. That was 20 years ago. These days I would use arm warmers and leg warmers instead of a long sleeved top and tights - less bulk but same effect or good enough. These days I also take silk underwear such as http://www.absolute-snow.co.uk/B/Silkin ... clava-(246).aspx Low bulk, and I use them as pyjamas but of course I can use them as underwear if it gets cold.
irc

Post by irc »

Uniqlo down jackets weigh about 250g and pack down tiny. Not in the same league as PHD but lighter and maybe the same warm as a thick jersey or fleece while lighter and smaller. Also useful as part of your pillow when camping. Decathlon sell similar. The Glasgow store had a few on sale last week as low as £25 or £30.

http://www.uniqlo.com/uk/store/feature/ ... /menwomen/
hamster

Post by hamster »

I'd second that about the Uniqlo jackets - way warmer than you should expect for the size or money, they also compress into a pack the size of a grapefruit. Definitely a favourite of mine now.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

irc wrote:Uniqlo down jackets weigh about 250g and pack down tiny. Not in the same league as PHD but lighter and maybe the same warm as a thick jersey or fleece while lighter and smaller. Also useful as part of your pillow when camping. Decathlon sell similar. The Glasgow store had a few on sale last week as low as £25 or £30.

Interesting - don't suppose you have a name or link for the Decathlon "similar"?
Sweep
irc

Post by irc »

Sweep wrote:
irc wrote:Uniqlo down jackets weigh about 250g and pack down tiny. Not in the same league as PHD but lighter and maybe the same warm as a thick jersey or fleece while lighter and smaller. Also useful as part of your pillow when camping. Decathlon sell similar. The Glasgow store had a few on sale last week as low as £25 or £30.

Interesting - don't suppose you have a name or link for the Decathlon "similar"?

This one? 274g weight. 102g down filling.

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/inuit-down-x ... 84711.html
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

Not exactly glam, but a plastic dustbin liner in the mid layer (layers is the key) gives surprising warmth in an emergency or on a long decent.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

mnichols wrote:Wow, that looks amazing, but more than I was expecting to pay. There is some great stuff on this website, but all very expensive.

I thought you would say that :D
It's run by the bloke who set up Mountain Equipment, and is mostly top of the range down gear, including custom modifications. They have "sales" a couple of times a year when you can get some stuff a bit less expensively.

I use a Primaloft top that I got in a sale (Finisterre Etobicoke). There's a reasonable range of similar jackets (Rab generator etc) which are less extortionate, more damp resistant than down, and stuff into reasonably small bags. Still not cheap cheap, but more affordable.
It's usually the sort of thing that it's worth thinking about well in advance so you can wait for the bargain offers to show up.
Last edited by andrew_s on 26 May 2014, 6:37pm, edited 1 time in total.
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

If I get a mid layer rather than a top layer, with a waterproof over the top, does it need to be waterproof?

I'm thinking about the affect that sweat and condensation would have
irc

Post by irc »

mnichols wrote:If I get a mid layer rather than a top layer, with a waterproof over the top, does it need to be waterproof?

I'm thinking about the affect that sweat and condensation would have

For me down jackets are for either as an outer in cold dry weather or to put on after stopping riding to prevent over cooling. Either in camp or maybe fixing a puncture on a cold day. I'm not sure how long the down would retain it's loft under a waterproof while cycling. For wearing as a mid layer while cycling I prefer a cashmere jersey. Still warm when damp. Reasonably light and packable for it's warmth.
Barrenfluffit

Post by Barrenfluffit »

If you've already got a windproof / waterproof outer layer then things below that are for warmth. Take extra base layers and wear multiples thereof as the temperature dictates. More thin layers also gives more flexibility/options too. For tops finding long sleeved stuff is the key (and also useful for sun protection).
whoof

Post by whoof »

My partner has a down jacket that packs into about the size of a grapefruit and was not overly expensive. I ask her what it was and get back to you.

I've ridden in the Alps and Pyrenees on a number of occassion with weather ranging from mid 30s down to it snowing and having icicles on my eyebrows decending off the Tourmalet. I tend to ride in bike stuff and wear 'normal' clothing. If it gets cold on the decent I put on lots of layers. Base layer/newspaper/race jersey/arms/fleece/race cape plus shorts/leg and warmer all topped off with a buff/cap and wool gloves. Lots of layers are more versitile than a few thicker ones.
nez

Post by nez »

How about a copy of l'Equipe down the front of the gilet? Not very warm but it cuts the right style.