Best lightweight, packable warm layers?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)

Re: Best lightweight, packable warm layers?

Postby mnichols » Thu May 22, 2014 9:20 pm

I'm tending towards wear everything that I have and take one "special" layer for an emergency. Leaning towards and ultralight packable down jacket/shirt/gillet plus glove liners unless there are some ultralight, ultrawarm, ultra small gloves that I haven't heard of
mnichols

Postby whoof » Fri May 23, 2014 12:49 pm

The down jacket my partner has is by Uniqlo
whoof

Postby RickH » Fri May 23, 2014 3:27 pm

I personally would steer away from down - yes it is great for warmth but, in cyclable conditions, you are much more likely to experience cold, damp conditions.

I have an old(ish) Rohan insulated jacket (a predecessor to the Icepack-Jacket which they have in their "Souk" clearance at the mo). Windproof, light & surprisingly warm - I've not yet had to use it up a mountain pass but it does get used sitting around outside on cool evenings & looks reasonably smart for evening wear off the bike. It packs into it own chest pocket & I have pressed it into service as a pillow while camping too. :)

Other makes do similar things - it may be worth going to an outdoors type shop (or browsing websites & see what they have to balance your preferences of cost, weight, warmth & packability. Gilets/vests of similar construction would work too to give core insulation but at the expense of insulation on the arms.

Rick.
RickH

Postby cnb » Fri May 23, 2014 5:58 pm

Rab Generator smock..Nice and lightweight and not really affected that much by the damp..Its not as warm or should i say insulating as a down jacket but probably more practical..
cnb

Postby Sooper8 » Fri May 23, 2014 7:03 pm

whoof wrote:The down jacket my partner has is by Uniqlo

+1 They pack down very small and are a very reasonable price new, even better in sale
Everything you love,everything meaningful with depth & history,all passionate authentic experiences will be appropriated,mishandled,watered down,cheapened, repackaged,marketed & sold to the people you hate
http://www.tumblr.com/blog/sooper8cycling
Sooper8

Previous

Return to Touring & Expedition