In Asia now, suffering the heat

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)

where is bestor july to sept

New Zealand
No votes
Thailand Laos Cambodia Vietnam
No votes
South India
100%

Total votes: 1

2biikesdueeast

In Asia now, suffering the heat

Post by 2biikesdueeast »

My girlfriend and I have just finished 2 months cycling and trekking in Nepal.
We plan on heading to cycle manali leh, then fly to Thailand for a se Asia loop over July August Sept before flying back to Chennai, doing a southern loop of india up to Mumbai before going home for Christmas.
We will train or bust the long transits, this is my lady's first tour so am keen she enjoys it.
Our biggest dilemma at the moment is the heat. It's 40 degrees in Nepal ans we are finding it draining and have no wish to spend the rest of your trip battling the heat.

Will the wet season plague us through se Asia?

We are considering a hop to nz oz for July to Sept though the cost is a worry
Can anyone advise us on if it will be too cold for Nz?
Thanks for all advice
Ro and Alice
simonhill

Re: In Asia now, suffering the heat

Post by simonhill »

I suggest you do some research on climate in the different areas. Wikipedia usually has good climate charts for towns. Other sites like wunderground.com have good historical data.

Having said that:

NZ will be cold and wet! The far north will be better but I wouldn't cycle July to Sept. Also short days for cycling.

In SE Asia it is the SW Monsoon season, so expect hot and wet. Probably not as hot as when I was last there in April at 42 degrees, as high humidity keeps temp down. It is still cyclable and plenty do, but you have to keep an eye on flooding, washed away roads, etc.

Probably the best areas will be the East coasts of Malaysia and Vietnam as they are more sheltered from the wet SWerlies.

Beware Chennai after Sept as their Monsoon, the NE starts about then. Great time for west coast in India.

I think the bottom line is that you are in the wrong place at this time of year. You could try Indonesia which should have better weather this time of year, although still hot. Look at AirAsia for good flights with reasonable charges for bikes.
boblo

Re: In Asia now, suffering the heat

Post by boblo »

We're in Hanoi having cycled up from HCM. It's been nearly 40°C here over the past few days and too hot for from us 11:00 to 14:00. We've been getting on the road at 05:30 to escape the worst. Apparently it's going to get hotterer.... :-/