Somerset Tour

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
groberts

Somerset Tour

Post by groberts »

Hoping to do a short trip around Somerset this summer. I usually cycle camp but due to current knee problems would like to reduce the cycle weight and stay at overnight accommodation + keep the miles down. General route starts at Ilminster, where my daughter lives, would like cycle friendly b&b, hotels, hostels at or around Sherborne (OK that's Dorset), Somerton, Glastonbury, Wells + somewhere between Wells and Ilminster + any other ideas? Thanks.
dodger

Re: Somerset Tour

Post by dodger »

Stayed in nice friendly pub in centre of Somerton last year. Can't remember the name but also can't remember any others. Previous year stayed in pleasant farmhouse in Wedmore. Looked at Glastonbury but all a bit too much new age crystal healing drivel for me. Have a good ride.
groberts

Post by groberts »

Thanks Dodger, if you remember the names I would love to hear + anybody's other suggestions most welcome.
misterjan

Post by misterjan »

I find this website useful. http://www.bedsforcyclists.co.uk/ . It's getting increasing numbers of listings having only been going for a coupe of years. A bit of advice - do not find yourself still cycling at dusk on the Somerset levels, the mozzie's will get you!!
moonboy

Post by moonboy »

The Admiral Blake Guest House in Bridgwater caters for cyclists you could then follow the Stop Line cycle route back to Ilminster
Neil Wheadon

Post by Neil Wheadon »

How long have you got? How many miles a day?
Stourhead is lovely and the road north from here through Kilmington Common is lovely, bear right and drop down over Gare Hill, through Trudoxhill and into Nunny which it's small but very interesting moated castle, through Leigh on Mendip then Oakhill, past the Mendip Golf Club for a beautiful descent to Wells with distant views of the levels and Glastonbury. Wells has the cathedral aside the City of London is the smallest city in England. There is a Sustrans route along an old railway which then takes you across the levels to Glastonbury.

Prior to this is a very pretty wooded ride to Stourhead from Wincanton, you head east parallel to the A303 and there is a zig zagged road heading NW then East through woodland that leads to Stourhead.

Does this help?
Neil

PS I run the CTC Hospitality Directory, staying with a cyclist is great fun, we hosted a Portugese cyclist last week. The other directory is Warm Showers.
Former CTC Tour Leader, now with Bikexplore
groberts

Post by groberts »

Thanks for all the comments - maybe my expectations are unrealistic but much of the accommodation noted seems quite expensive, or am I just out of touch?

Neil - mileage depends on my knee & topography i.e. I will try and avoid hills insofar as possible, likewise depending on how I get on would hope to tour for up to a week or so. Whilst I have often driven through and around Somerset in the past, only since my daughter moved there have I started to get to know the county better and very nice it is too. So much so might even move there, so am interested in getting to know the county at a slower pace i.e on a bike. I like the idea of CTC hospitality scheme (which I did not know existed, where can I find it?) and Warm Showers is a good idea too - will take a look.

I
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

Hello There,
Apologies for the rather late response, sounds like you're visiting my area... in terms of accomdation there are youth hostel's close to Street, and in the residential area of Cheddar (Street is a town which is a stones throw away from Glastonbury, the Youth Hostel for Street is actually on a hill, but its not so long that you can't walk up it). Glastonbury is worth visiting as there isn't really any other place like it, and the veggie food is really great. There's a sustrans cycle route which takes you from Glastonbury to Wells, which isn't too steep, although i can't remember what the number is. If you're looking to cycle from Wells to Cheddar, i'd advoid the A road... its nice and twisty but its full of far too many expensive fast cars being driven badly... if you've got the time can use the network of minor lanes to form a route between Wells and Cheddar, and perhaps take in Wedmore, which is quaint place which looks as if its just popped out of country living... if you wanted to avoid the Mendip hills, you can use the sustran's strawberry way, which takes you between the hills and through a railway tunnel... you can follow that route on to Yatton to the train station or even continue by road to Bristol, if you found you knee was in good health by then you could even take the lumpier route to Bath... if you drop me a line, i'll try and dig out some photo copy maps and stuff. My memory informs me that there's also a sustrans route out of Ilminister, onto the levels, think it may be the 3 or the 33, worth looking as i seem to remember it going through a park garden of a stately home...
Of course, what you really want to plan is the weather!
groberts

Post by groberts »

Thanks to Cycle Tramp and everyone else. I am just back from a 1-week test cycle-camping tour of the East Anglia coast, during which the knee held up quite well. Hopefully Somerset is next, in a couple of weeks. Camping v non-camping remains a unsettled, we shall see.