Camping in the Netherlands

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
martin113

Camping in the Netherlands

Post by martin113 »

Can anyone tell me about the "natuurkampeerterreinen". the "natural" campsites in the Netherlands. Should I join the organisation before going or can I just turn up at one of these campsites and camp for the night without joiniing or join at the campsite?

Same question for the "kamperenbijdeboer" campsites.

Thanks,
jamesgilbert

Re: Camping in the Netherlands

Post by jamesgilbert »

I can answer your question for one 'Natuurkamp' near Lierop (this one: natuurkampeersite.nl‎), which I stayed at last week. We arrived quite late in the day, there was no-one around so we set up and asked some people in a caravan if we had to do anything in particular (all the instructions were in Dutch). They said no, and that the campsite person would be along later.

It turned out that we didn't need the card when the very pleasant campsite supervisor came to take our money.

There was just a sign saying that certain pitches had been pre-booked so we had to avoid them, but it was very quiet. And there were of course very clean facilities, with toilet paper, soap, free showers, etc! Insect repellent was very useful though...
Domestique

Post by Domestique »

Have used the Natuurkampeerterrein sites and guide for the last three out of four years. We have always pre ordered the book before we left, but I am sure you can turn up at any of the sites and join if you want.
When it came to payment for the book we simply sent a 20 euro note back with the receipt, never had any problems.
If there is one problem with the sites, in some areas they can be a bit sparse, other than that we have never had a bad stay. The sites in the national forests, or Staatsbosbeheer sites are our favourites.
This year we are going to give the Vekabo, or small farm camping, sites a try.
Enjoy your time in NL, we love it there.
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

Last year I just turned up and paid membership at the first Natuurkampeerterrainen site I stayed at. I liked it so much I didn't bother with any other types of site, found enough Natuurkampeerterrainen ones!
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin