Stiff soled touring shoes

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
nez

Stiff soled touring shoes

Post by nez »

My long serving touring shoes have had it. I need another pair with very stiff soles - I'm heavy. I keep looking at the dromarchi web site but even if I were up for the 200plus sovs they're always sold out. Anyway recommendations for a pair gratefully accepted. I'm using frog pedals
Godlykepower

Re: Stiff soled touring shoes

Post by Godlykepower »

I have a pair of these, which I am really pleased with.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/spe ... e-ec025555
I don't have a gambling problem. I'm winning, and winning is not a problem for me. That's like saying AC/DC have an awesomeness problem.
grani

Post by grani »

I will second the Specialized BG Sport even though I had to return mine for warranty. I have just bought a pair of Specialized Tahoe Sport which are the same stiffness and I like them very much.
nez

Post by nez »

Thanks. That's one of the models I was considering. Do you find them stiff? I know it's all relative.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

I've had a pair of Tahoes for 5 years. They are used daily on my commute and occasional weekend riding too. Comfortable and stiff enough that you can't feel the pedal through them. They are also good for moderate walking (I tend to wear them round the office and lunchtime walks up to about half a mile).
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
grani

Post by grani »

nez dans le guidon wrote:Thanks. That's one of the models I was considering. Do you find them stiff? I know it's all relative.

I am not the heaviest and most powerful rider but they are quite stiff. The tahoes are very comfortable off the bike as well but I found that the straps on the BG sport secure the foot a bit better for more intense riding.

As a dedicated touring shoe I would probably pick the Tahoe Sport again. Very individual though and I would suggest you try them on as the sizing is a bit odd.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

I use three sets of shoes for commuting, shopping, leisure and touring.

I do lots of walking as I investigate churches, ancient sites and barrows etc

My shoes are Shimano MT71

I then have a pair of Shimano MT90 boots for winter or heavy walking

Then finally a pair of Keen Commuter sandals for lighter work
sjs

Post by sjs »

Godlykepower wrote:I have a pair of these, which I am really pleased with.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/spe ... e-ec025555

+1 for those. Pretty stiff, but very walkable in. Maybe a bit blingy for the evening gastropub, but that's a matter of personal taste. As usual, not waterproof at all.
honesty

Post by honesty »

Ive recently bought a pair of Keen Austin shoes from Rose bikes, and I'm impressed with them so far. A day walking around a national trust site on Saturday and they didn't hurt my feet at all, and on bike they are stiff and comfortable. Seem to be quite wide compared to other makes.
nez

Post by nez »

Well the Rose bike shoes look like shoes which is an advantage. How did the sizes translate? I see they're listed under us shoe sizes
honesty

Post by honesty »

For me slightly on the large size. I ended up getting a 42 (a 9) when I'm usually a 9 1/2. Its also listed under American shoe size, so if you do go ahead make sure you get the right ones or specify the euro shoe size in the comment.
hamster

Post by hamster »

Shimano soles tend to be somewhat on the narrow side.

I think shoes are one of those things (along with helmets) where fit is everything and a trip to a few bike shops to try stuff on is worth more than any superficial cost saving. Stuff that doesn't fit quite right ends up costing more.
nez

Post by nez »

I agree. I think the trouble is trying to find somewhere with enough stock. So I was trying to narrow it down by relying on the group experience here.
honesty

Post by honesty »

On this, Rosebikes were fantastic. I Ordered the 10.5s (on their website, so British 9.5s) and they were too large. A free return and re-ship and I had the next size down within a fortnight. Cant fault them for it really.
Samurray

Post by Samurray »

I've been using the Giro Terraduro
http://www.giro.com/eu_en/terraduro-20193.html/
for the last month in Spain. Cycling tracks, wild camping etc. They've been brilliant so far. Stiff soles for cycling but the Vibram makes them versatile for walking in on most terrains.