My new touring bike

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
sore thumb

My new touring bike

Post by sore thumb »

It's a on one inbred with slotted dropouts.

The pink bar is the tag along for my daughters bike.

loafer

Re: My new touring bike

Post by loafer »

looks great :D best not let my girlfriend see that tag along she will be wanting me to get one :lol:
gloomyandy

Post by gloomyandy »

Very nice. I also have an inbred based touring bike. Mine is the 29er frame, is that a 26" frame?. What forks are they?
sore thumb

Post by sore thumb »

gloomyandy wrote:Very nice. I also have an inbred based touring bike. Mine is the 29er frame, is that a 26" frame?. What forks are they?

It's a 26" that I have now converted from a MTB. It's a surly troll fork.

I chose a slotted frame as I thought I would get a hub gear at some point. It's really helped as I have managed to have disc brakes a rear rack and also a set of mudguards with no rear fixing issues.

The only issues I have had it the long forks and fitting the front mudguard. I just made an extra long aluminium strip to fit from mudguard to the crown.

Also there is no seatstay bridge but if you buy a tortec mudguard set it has a plastic adapter that does the job for you.

I bought the 1.5 to 2.1 tortec mudguards. They look a little wide but at least their is no rubbing with the mudguards and tyres. I have so e marathon racer 1.5 tyres at the moment and I am considering getting some 1.7 marathon tyres with a bit more grip that might be a good compromise when doing some trails.

On the last photo, you can see I could not get the mudguards to fit on the correct fitting on the forks. But used the rack bolt and it does the job just fine. It was the disc brake that was getting in the way if the mudguard steel rods.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Have to say that it looks like someone threw some odd bits together to make a bike.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
sore thumb

Post by sore thumb »

foxyrider wrote:Have to say that it looks like someone threw some odd bits together to make a bike.

Well it was frame only and then put some (very expensive) bits on. I must say that the one one inbred frame is a tried and trusted touring/mtb frame by many. I would have got a surly frame but the other half would have never paid for that.

I must say that I have always had aluminium frame and was very surprised and pleased by the steel frame. Much better ride than my previous aluminium ones. With not much more weight either.

I do agree that the fork is not perfect. It does look a little odd being so long. But is a compromise to keep the geometry of the frame, as it is designed for a 100mm fork. However it does ride really well.
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

Very purposeful looking bike there Sorethumb. Would be interested to know how it handles when loaded up at the front. The front rack looks dizzyingly high to me - could it make the steering feel floppy? Any reason not to have used a low rider rack?
sore thumb

Post by sore thumb »

CREPELLO wrote:Very purposeful looking bike there Sorethumb. Would be interested to know how it handles when loaded up at the front. The front rack looks dizzyingly high to me - could it make the steering feel floppy? Any reason not to have used a low rider rack?

The front rack is only for tent and few bits and pieces on top.

If I use the panniers then would consider a low rider.
gloomyandy

Post by gloomyandy »

This is my 29er version:

and fully loaded:

I suspect your mudguards work better than mine!
sore thumb

Post by sore thumb »

gloomyandy wrote:This is my 29er version:

and fully loaded:

I suspect your mudguards work better than mine!

Nice and with proper panniers too.

What did you get for your exta bottle cage mount?

I was looking at fitting solutions and also the possibility of putting one underneath the down tube.
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

sore thumb wrote:
gloomyandy wrote:Very nice. I also have an inbred based touring bike. Mine is the 29er frame, is that a 26" frame?. What forks are they?

I also use Surly Troll forks on a mix-n-match bike of mine, which has gone from MTB to Rough Stuffy type toury thing to MTB type rough tracky random whotsit, and I really like them. Looking at your's though, I cannot see the anything cage mounts, so I wonder if it's an older model, or if they've stopped fitting them (on the Surly page- http://surlybikes.com/parts/forks/troll_fork ) they can be seen, but are not mentioned, so am curious.
sore thumb

My new touring bike

Post by sore thumb »

mrjemm wrote:
sore thumb wrote:

I also use Surly Troll forks on a mix-n-match bike of mine, which has gone from MTB to Rough Stuffy type toury thing to MTB type rough tracky random whotsit, and I really like them. Looking at your's though, I cannot see the anything cage mounts, so I wonder if it's an older model, or if they've stopped fitting them (on the Surly page- http://surlybikes.com/parts/forks/troll_fork ) they can be seen, but are not mentioned, so am curious.

Thinking back, I remember seeing the forks that also have cage mounts. At the time I felt I did not need those and chose the troll forks instead. Now I wish I had chosen the others. Not that the troll forks aren't good, but because the inbred frame only has one bottle attachment.

The ECR has the cage mount attachments

http://surlybikes.com/parts/forks/ecr_fork
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

Like your's, mine are also Troll ones, which do have them, hence my confusion. I actually put my pump mount on one; I like how it looks, and it can't catch on anything there- have had it touch my big ring.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

To my untrained eye the seat post looks very vulnerable. It is very long, only made of alloy and must be subject to lots of stresses when riding, particularly on rough stuff. Probably makes the bike easier to pack for flying, etc though.

I'm afraid I much prefer the look of my LHT - was your frame so much cheaper? I thought LHT frames and forks were about £350.
gloomyandy

Post by gloomyandy »

HI,
the bottle mounts are a simple bolt on strap that goes around the frame and has a standard bottle mount thread in it. Hard to describe really. Not sure who makes it I got it from my local bike shop. It is not the most robust mount, but so far it has worked well. Ah found it, it is one of these:
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/zef ... t-ec038010