First EVER Tour! (and I'm going RTW)

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Jamesjohnson

Re: First EVER Tour! (and I'm going RTW)

Post by Jamesjohnson »

Well, things don't always go to plan when you cycle around the world.

I've now been in Tbilisi, Georgia for a whole month. I had planned to stay four days.

When I arrived in Tbilisi I found that I had lost my bank card. I called the bank to cancel it and they were great, offering to send me a new one by private courier. I was told it would be with me in a week. One week later, nothing, two weeks, nothing, three weeks... you see where I'm going with this. I called the bank (Natwest) every day after the first week and they told me they couldn't get through to my branch. After 3 weeks I finally got a reply;

"Mr Johnson, Sorry for the delay in sending your new card. I will send it today"

To say I was annoyed and angry is an understatement but I kept my cool and waited. Then I get a message saying it's been delivered after just one day, to my house, 500m from the bank.

So I've been here for a lot longer than I planned. I've opened a Georgian Bank account and the bank is sending some funds across so I can get out of Tbilisi. This has meant my plans to cycle all the way around the world have had to be changed. The weather window of opportunity in Central Asia is pretty much closed and I don't fancy crossing 500+km of barren desert and mountainous rock roads solo in winter. So I've decided to fly to Nepal and begin the Indian and South East Asia Legs of my journey. I think it's a good choice in the circumstances and hopefully I'll be able to complete Central Asia, as well as Iran, in the not too distant future.

I'm sad to lose the full RTW achievement, but hey, things could be worse.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Jamesjohnson wrote:I'm sad to lose the full RTW achievement, but hey, things could be worse.

I don't know "how it works" with cycling RTW, but e.g. in the US for the long distance "thru hikes" (e.g. PTC, etc.) you complete a "thru' hike" once you have walked the entire trail. It is quite acceptable to walk part one year, skip forward and do a different section another year, maybe skip back and fill-in the missing bit a couple of years later, etc. You complete the "thru' hike" when you have walked the entire trail in whatever order, whatever direction over any number of years.

So you could always go back and do the missing section later.

Ian
Samurray

Post by Samurray »

"So I've decided to fly to Nepal and begin the Indian and South East Asia Legs of my journey."

Hey James
I am approaching Georgia and considering the same thing - i.e. flying to India. Just wandering how you are finding it logistically getting bike on the plane etc and whether any bike shops in Tbilisi have boxes etc?
Cheers
Murray
Jamesjohnson

Post by Jamesjohnson »

Samurray wrote:"So I've decided to fly to Nepal and begin the Indian and South East Asia Legs of my journey."

Hey James
I am approaching Georgia and considering the same thing - i.e. flying to India. Just wandering how you are finding it logistically getting bike on the plane etc and whether any bike shops in Tbilisi have boxes etc?
Cheers
Murray

Hey Murray,

I hope I'm not too late with this reply. I made the mistake of not getting extra baggage in time. I flew with FlyDubai (the cheapest airline for this trip) and thought I could get extra baggage sorted at the airport. That wasn't the case and I had to hand over $160 in charges, and this was reduced from $260 as I was almost in tears when I was told how much I had to pay. If you get extra baggage online or over the phone this wouldnt be a problem.

FlyDubai require bikes to be boxed and I was able to get a box easily and for free at a nice little bike shop in Tbilisi. If you ask for directions to Wendy's/Smart (a fast food chain attached to a supermarket) located in Vake, on Chavchavadze Avenue, then you'll find Velo+/Cube Bike shop right behind it.

Hope that helps, message if you have any problems as I have friends in Tbilisi who may be able to help you out.

..........................................................................................................................................................

If you have some time please check out the newest JamesVsWorld Blog. This time it's not so much about cycling, but the trek in Nepal that recently featured in the international news after a snowstorm caused a number of deaths.

On the 14th October 2014 a snowstorm and series of avalanches occurred on and around Annapurna and the surrounding areas of the Himalayan range in Nepal. Rescue efforts saved the lives of over 400 people from the popular ‘Annapurna Circuit Trek’ and other treks in the area, however, despite these efforts, more than 40 people were killed and many are missing. This post takes place and was written before these events.

http://jamesvsworld.com/2014/11/17/into ... na-part-1/
Jamesjohnson

Post by Jamesjohnson »

My Annapurna Part 2 blog has just been posted.

This one takes place from the day the snowstorm, which killed over 40 people, hit the mountains of Nepal.

I hope you enjoy reading it.

Into Annapurna - Part 2 - https://wordpress.com/post/41247589/994/
Jamesjohnson

Post by Jamesjohnson »

On the 20th June 2015 I cycled around a corner and found myself home after 13 months, 9202miles, 1271 cycling hours, 19 countries and 3 continents on 1 amazing bike. Now my journey is over, successful thanks to the kindness, friendship and generosity of those I met along the way.

Thanks to all those who have message me and helped me along the way, I've appreciated all your advice.
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

Jamesjohnson wrote:On the 20th June 2015 I cycled around a corner and found myself home after 13 months, 9202miles.......

Jamesjohnson wrote:My name is James Johnson and I am not a cyclist. Well, I'm not a cyclist yet, but I will be soon.

....you are now :).... May I be the first to congratulate you in this forum
Chris F, Cornwall
ferdinand

Post by ferdinand »

Good one James.

I would be interested to know how you think you have been changed.

And how the £5 per day went.

Ferdinand
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

Well done!
700c

Post by 700c »

Jamesjohnson wrote:On the 20th June 2015 I cycled around a corner and found myself home after 13 months, 9202miles, 1271 cycling hours, 19 countries and 3 continents on 1 amazing bike. Now my journey is over, successful thanks to the kindness, friendship and generosity of those I met along the way. Thanks to all those who have message me and helped me along the way, I've appreciated all your advice.

Chapeau! Incredible adventure, well done...