Trains in Belgium and Netherlands

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
martin113

Trains in Belgium and Netherlands

Post by martin113 »

Does anyone have experience of taking bikes on trains in Netherlands and Belgium? The Man in Seat 61 says you can take bikes on trains on any local routes in the Netherlands but doesn't define what "local" means. Is it ok to take them on intercity trains? I want to go from Groningen to Amsterdam and possibly Amsterdam to Antwerp. Not bothered about the Thalys trains, by the way.

Also do you know what the arrangements are when you put the bikes on the train? Do you have to take all the bags off, does the bike go in a special carriage or can you stay quite close to it, is it hung up by the front wheel like some crazy arrangements on some UK trains?

Any help gratefully received.
Will

Re: Trains in Belgium and Netherlands

Post by Will »

I have taken my bike onto trains in the Netherlands and Belgium on many occasions and never had any problems. Like the UK, there are a variety of different train types and the facilities for bikes do vary (there is usually a bike symbol next to the door where you put your bike). I've only had to remove my luggage when travelling with other people and we had to make room to get all of our bikes on the train.

I believe that you are not allowed to take your bike onto a train during rush hour - all other times are OK, though it can get a bit crowded at times with the number of people trying to take their bikes on.

You need to purchase a ticket for your bike as well as for yourself. You can buy a day ticket or a single journey ticket for your bike. I don't know how it works out if you cross the border (i.e. is the bike ticket still valid on the Belgian part of the journey?) If you do need to buy a separate bike ticket for the Belgian part then you can buy it online and print it out before you go.

You can get from Amsterdam to Antwerp with your bike if you avoid the Intercity Direct and Thalys. The Intercity Direct trains used to be known as Fyra and are the high speed service. You can use the journey planner on the dutch rail website (http://www.ns.nl) to check the available options - If it doesn't say that bicycles are not allowed for a particular journey then it is safe to assume that they are.

Will
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Generally speaking, you cannot take your bike on trains during peak times (6.30am to 9am and 4.30pm to 6pm), except for a few special trains. There are no restrictions on holidays, or weekends and I think part of the summer holiday period (maybe check with the rail services).

Outside of peak times, you may bring your bicycle onto any train as long as there is room. There is a small fee to take a bike, but you can buy a day pass for it (in the Netherlands; I don't remember if they have them in Belgium). Some routes have a bicycle carriage. Station staff are usually knowledgeable about whether there is a bicycle carriage & can tell you the best place to wait on the platform. If the train you want is too full, or there isn't room for a bicycle, you just have to wait for the next train.

On some long distance trains, I think it is possible to book, but I've never done that, so can't advise.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Dynamite_funk

Post by Dynamite_funk »

The one thing I would say, adding to what has alreay been said, is that you may have to book your bike on some services. If you do not have a ticket they will fine you or kick you off. As one conductor advised us when we were travelling by tandem, 'I suggest you get off at the next station and get a ticket before continuing your journey...if you stay on it is much mroe expensive' :wink:

Otherwise no problems at all, even with a tandem, just fold up the seats and strap in :D
martin113

Post by martin113 »

Thanks for that, very helpful. However, I have come across this on the Netherlands trains site:

•Bicycles may be taken on the train during off-peak hours.
•To do this you purchase a Bicycle Day Ttravel Card from the ticket machine.
•A Bicycle Day Travel Card allows you to take a (folding) tandem, reclining bicycle or disassembled racing bike on the train.
•A Bicycle Day Card is not necessary for a standard folding bicycle. Passengers may take standard folding bicycles on the train with them free of charge (provided they meet the terms and conditions)

Disassembled racing bike. What means?
jamesgilbert

Post by jamesgilbert »

Just to add to the other information, it's pretty much the same arrangement in Belgium, where you need to buy a 5 euro ticket for the bike (valid for 1 day).

If you're travelling in multiple countries, it's possible to buy a kind of international bike ticket from the ticket machines in the Netherlands.

Last week I did Amsterdam to Lille by train, using 3 different services: Amsterdam-Rotterdam, Rotterdam-Antwerp, Antwerp-Lille Flandres, it cost 12 euros for the bike. You have to be careful with the Amsterdam-Rotterdam service, as many are high-speed Intercity Direct trains. We caught a train called a "Sprinter" which stopped everywhere and it was fine.
randomblue

Post by randomblue »

When I was looking at trains from Amsterdam to Hamburg the website said 10euro for the bike ticket. When phoning the UK number to book they said £10 which is obviously a bit more.

For Belgium I used the train with my bike yesterday from Marbehan to Luxemburg. The ticket for me as a "youth" was 9e40 and the bike ticket was 5e which covered the whole journey :) the train was a pain to get on with three steep steps up, I only managed because another customer helped push the bike up. As others have said it varies though and there are many different types of trains with different facilities!

Good luck!