How to mount the axa luxx70 on my bike?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
serbring

How to mount the axa luxx70 on my bike?

Post by serbring »

Hi all,

I'm about to buy an axa luxx70, mainly for the built-in usb charger so I can charge a battery that I would use for charging my phone. Here you can see the light:

http://www.axa-stenman.com/en/bicycle-c ... xx70-plus/

here you can see my bike:

[img=http://s1.postimg.org/a3d5hwrcr/WP_000281.jpg]

In the light should me mounted at the fork through a threaded hole. Unfortunately my bike doesn't have any hole on the fork. What about using something like on the head tube:

http://www.logismarket.it/ip/vh-industr ... 44-FGR.jpg

Could it stand the vibrations?

thanks
tatanab

Re: How to mount the axa luxx70 on my bike?

Post by tatanab »

I would drill a hole in brake brake brace and mount the light there. The advantage will be that it will be at a fixed distance from the road surface so you can set the beam to see with and not bounce up and down on the suspension. Approaching traffic would be grateful too.
gaz

Post by gaz »

+1, it needs to be mounted on the brake brace although I can't comment on it's suitability for drilling.

serbring wrote:What about using something like on the head tube:...Could it stand the vibrations?

Don't mount your lamp on the head tube, it needs to move with the steering. I doubt that a jubilee clip is up to the task.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Plenty of after market braces and brake adaptor plates have a hole so I doubt it will be a problem, although of course I do not know about your specific one.

Just for interest, what made you choose the Axa over the B&M equivalent?
serbring

Post by serbring »

tatanab wrote:I would drill a hole in brake brake brace and mount the light there. The advantage will be that it will be at a fixed distance from the road surface so you can set the beam to see with and not bounce up and down on the suspension. Approaching traffic would be grateful too.

I have firstly tought to drill the brake brace, but I thought that maybe the fork would damage. What about using a cable tie?

gaz wrote:+1, it needs to be mounted on the brake brace although I can't comment on it's suitability for drilling.

serbring wrote:What about using something like on the head tube:...Could it stand the vibrations?

Don't mount your lamp on the head tube, it needs to move with the steering. I doubt that a jubilee clip is up to the task.

you're totally right! Thanks.

tatanab wrote:Plenty of after market braces and brake adaptor plates have a hole so I doubt it will be a problem, although of course I do not know about your specific one.

Just for interest, what made you choose the Axa over the B&M equivalent?

Unfortunately the brake brace is part of the fork, so I have to the change the whole fork for changing the brake brace. I choosed the Axa mainly because it's much cheaper 60€ for axa and 130€ for B&M luxos u. Is the luxos much better than axa?
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

I was just curious about the light that's all, because most seem to go for B&M.

If you do not want to drill the brace then perhaps you can fashion a clamp to go onto it. A cable tie would certainly not be adequate.
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

I've got an Axa Luxx 70 plus. I can't comment on the comparison with the B+M offering but I can confirm it's excellent quality and the USB charger works very well. It puts lots of light on the road where you want it. I can also confirm that it is designed for fork crown mounting and it is supplied with a number of brackets to allow for different forks and to avoid conflicts with straddle wires etc.

Whatever method you choose to attach it to your bicycle will need to be strong enough to support it and stop it vibrating. I doubt that a cable tie will be sufficient.

If you can't drill the brake brace I would suggest some form of handlebar mount.
serbring

Post by serbring »

Norman H wrote:I've got an Axa Luxx 70 plus. I can't comment on the comparison with the B+M offering but I can confirm it's excellent quality and the USB charger works very well. It puts lots of light on the road where you want it. I can also confirm that it is designed for fork crown mounting and it is supplied with a number of brackets to allow for different forks and to avoid conflicts with straddle wires etc.

Whatever method you choose to attach it to your bicycle will need to be strong enough to support it and stop it vibrating. I doubt that a cable tie will be sufficient.

If you can't drill the brake brace I would suggest some form of handlebar mount.

thanks for your comments about the light. There is one thing I haven't understood so far about the light: is there a switch for the light and one for the usb charger so I can decide which item the power should be used, or the usb charger must be used with the light on?

Ok I'll think about drilling the brake braket. May you upload a photo of all the brakets supplied, so I can understand if there is something that can fit, please?

I was thinking about mounting it on the handlebar, but I have a ortlieb handlebar bag.
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

Yes, it has a three position switch which is rather awkward to use:-

1 USB charging/Light off)
2 Light on automatic (twilight switch)
3 Light permanently on

I don't know if there is an output available for charging when the light is on, if you are going fast enough, as I've never tested this and I cant find the original instructions.

There were four alternative brackets supplied with it, all of which attach to the end of the mounting arm and then subsequently to the fork. Two of them have a single hole for fork crown mounting and the other two look to be designed to be fixed with self tapping screws.
I'm not sure I can download pictures on here but if you pm me with your E-mail address I will try and take some tomorrow and send them to you.
serbring

Post by serbring »

Norman H wrote:Yes, it has a three position switch which is rather awkward to use:-

1 USB charging/Light off)
2 Light on automatic (twilight switch)
3 Light permanently on

I don't know if there is an output available for charging when the light is on, if you are going fast enough, as I've never tested this and I cant find the original instructions.

There were four alternative brackets supplied with it, all of which attach to the end of the mounting arm and then subsequently to the fork. Two of them have a single hole for fork crown mounting and the other two look to be designed to be fixed with self tapping screws.
I'm not sure I can download pictures on here but if you pm me with your E-mail address I will try and take some tomorrow and send them to you.

oh thanks. I'm gonna buy this light, for 60 € it's a bargain
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

Norman H wrote:I don't know if there is an output available for charging when the light is on, if you are going fast enough, as I've never tested this and I cant find the original instructions.
Not, according to this.
HTH
"42"
serbring

Post by serbring »

squeaker wrote:
Norman H wrote:I don't know if there is an output available for charging when the light is on, if you are going fast enough, as I've never tested this and I cant find the original instructions.
Not, according to this.
HTH

interesting review. Thanks. I have just found the luxx70 supply only 0.5A to the USB, charging the smartphone will take 4 hours. Instead the luxos U supplies 1A.
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

Have a look here http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/light-mounts.asp a caliper mount can be mounted on a vee brake sometimes.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
serbring

Post by serbring »

iandriver wrote:Have a look here http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/light-mounts.asp a caliper mount can be mounted on a vee brake sometimes.

That's a great resource. Thanks :)
serbring

Post by serbring »

Hi have found two different axa luxx70 lights:

the steady auto:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/5 ... L1500_.jpg

and the steady:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41BhBeEHaCL.jpg

they differ only for the stand, but the first one costs 15€ more. Is it much better than first one with respect the second one?