Pas de Calais

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
nez

Pas de Calais

Post by nez »

Hi,
I'm hoping to go on a one man and his tent tour near Calais at the beginning of June. Will I be able to just roll up and get a place in campings municipales or must I be a bit more organised? Any recommendations? Thanks
tatanab

Re: Pas de Calais

Post by tatanab »

Just turn up and you will be fine. Early June is not exactly busy - it is my preferred touring time.
InfiniteView

Post by InfiniteView »

I did a loop in early June 2012, and I had trouble getting into the camping ground at Montreuil. However, that was during the Queen's jubilee, so there may've been more Brits travelling than usual.

Google has references to a municipal ground at Arras, but I couldn't find it. I don't think it exists any more.

James
Galloper

Post by Galloper »

nez

Post by nez »

Thanks v much. Its exactly what i needed. Sorted out my gender gaffe too! Campings municipaux. Oops
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

I spent a week cycling round there at the end of May last year. I stayed at:

Camping Les Epinettes
Impasse Du Mont Pinet
Peuplingues
Picardy Nord-Pas-de-Calais
Tel: 0033 321 852139
Fine, slightly pricey.

Camping Parc Des Cygnes
111 Avenue Des Cygnes
Amiens
Tel: 00 33 3 22 43 29 28
Also a bit pricey but worth it for the stay in Amiens.

Camping Le Chalet
2 Rue Des Champs
Verchin
Tel: 0033 623 221395
Cheapest and best.

I also stayed in a couple of others not on my list, big sites which were useful but not necessarily recommended, plus a little very French site south of Calais which wasn't on any of the maps.
Might be worth mentioning that several 'municipals' on a map I'd downloaded didn't actually have touring pitches. They were more like static sites with loads of cabins. This was in the Somme valley where there is lots of fishing, maybe it's to do with that. Never come across this before.
Have a great time!
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin
mac111051

Post by mac111051 »

Here is a list of French Municipal sites http://www.camping-municipal.org/index.htm
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

Yes, that was the website I used. Actually I realise it wasn't the Somme Valley where I had problems finding campsites which would accommodate a tourer, it was the valley between Montreuil and Hesdin. One actually does say it only does annual bookings. I think Camping Municipal de la Source may be where I ended up - it was fine and nobody was around to pay so very good value! (I did try!)
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin
nez

Post by nez »

I was hospitalised in Hesdin once. Let's hope it's not an omen. :shock: