Island hopping in the far north of Norway

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Cadair Idris

Island hopping in the far north of Norway

Post by Cadair Idris »

Seems to me that many people cycling through northern Norway are on a pretty direct route to and from North Cape. I've been lucky enough to cycle this way before (both North Cape to Oslo, and from Kirkenes to the Lofoten Islands). Thought so much of it that I want to return for 12 days or so of cycling in September this year. I'm looking for an alternative route between North Cape and Tromso. I wonder if anyone here has travelled to any of the islands located between North Cape and, say, Oksfjord? The islands concerned are Masoya, Rolvsoya, Soroya, Seiland and Stjernoya, and they're all accessible by regular ferries from Havoysund, Hammerfest and Oksfjord. There's not a whole lot of road between them collectively, and pretty much none at all on at least one of the islands. Amongst visitors, they're more likely to draw hikers and fishing enthusiasts than cyclists, but perhaps someone here has some thoughts on where to go for a couple of nights of wild camping in a dramatic setting.

PS In case someone should suggest visiting Senja, I would love to go there too but won't have time to do so on this occasion. By the way, if you do visit Senja, make sure you take the road to Husoy...