Secure touring seat bag recommendation.

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
bidi

Secure touring seat bag recommendation.

Post by bidi »

Hi. Can anyone point me in the right direction for a secure touring seat/saddle bag?

I'm looking for a bag to permanently i.e. not quick-release — too easy to nick — attache under the saddle. It needs to be waterproof and lockable. I want somewhere to store my front and rear lamps and maybe a few tools.

Anyone know of such a bag?
TrevA

Re: Secure touring seat bag recommendation.

Post by TrevA »

Never come across a lockable cycle bag. If you have a rack, you may be able to attach a small motorcycle top box to it. These are made of plastic or fibre glass and would be both waterproof and lockable, but I would say overkill for a pedal cycle. I simply detach and take my saddle pack with me.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

use a bag with velcro strap attachment - you will possibly be able to get a padlock through the zip and seat rail.

I wouldn't bother - take the bag and lights with you, put them in a pannier maybe? Never felt a need to worry unduly, i never park the bike and leave stuff on it in urban areas - everything comes off in that situation, pump, lights, bottles!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Malky 1422

Post by Malky 1422 »

You cant beat a good Carradice saddlebag, they hold more and are more durable than any seat pack. Use with the carradice bagman quick release and you can easily take the bag off and keep it with you. Not lockable though, I used the Nelson longflap, and that flap got me out of trouble lots of times. I have just replaced it with a new one, its lasted me 20 years.