Endurance Mindset - Book Recommendations

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
mnichols

Endurance Mindset - Book Recommendations

Post by mnichols »

Hi,

Does anyone know of any good books about developing the right mindset for spending long days and weeks in the saddle?

There seem to be lots of books out there about going faster, and developing the mindset for competing, but spending long hours in the saddle day after day is a different challenge. I'm not competing, and I'm not looking to go short distances faster or be the quickest up a hill. I'm looking to do longer days (100, 150 maybe 200 miles per day) for up to a month through mountain ranges and deserts.

I want to be able to develop a mindset that will allow me to push my distances and days up, tune out the petty aches and pains, and tune in to the sights, sounds and smells.

I have done quite a few tours of around 1000 miles, but I want to push this up into the several thousand mile range, and as I am still working and have limited holiday the only way I can do this is to extend my daily distances.
jamesgilbert

Re: Endurance Mindset - Book Recommendations

Post by jamesgilbert »

I'm not sure this is the best place to be asking this question. In my opinion (and I may be wrong), the motivating factor for most cycle tourists is being able to explore new places at a reasonable speed, whilst also being free to stop, do some sightseeing, see what's down a side-road, etc. I don't think doing the kind of distances you're talking about for days and weeks on end is very normal in cycle touring, as it would leave very little time for anything other than cycling.

You might have more luck with ultra-runners, for example people who spend 50 or 60 days running the Appalachian Trail. Here the emphasis is more on covering as much distance as possible, day after day. There are quite a few blogs out there on the subject.
Vinko

Post by Vinko »

Mark Beaumont - The Man Who Cycled the World
Alastair Humphreys - Moods of Future Joys

Both books by people who have done long (round the world) trips and the mental/physical aspects to this are described.

....and good reading too!

Or maybe look into something that isnt specific to cycling, but interesting mindset "training".....

"Mindfulness" is a facinating area.
Books to read here are those by
Jon Kabat-Zinn - "Wherever you go, there you are."
and
"Mindfulness" by Mark Williams and Danny Penman

Certainly interesting excersises in these on appreciation (or not!) of sensory surroundings even aches and pains. I am not recommending you do a full-on meditation practice whilst cycling as such - you might fall off - but "mindfulness" (with possible Buddhist overtones) whilst cycling is fascinating.

Although this maybe exactly the oppositte of what you are looking for!
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

I'm not adverse to reading about Mindfullness, Meditation or Buddhism if that will help. Have delved a little into there area in the past and I think a refresher maybe useful. Thanks for reminding me. I will have a look in the loft and see what's up there. This may be the way to go - I think the key is to keep the mind focused, and not let it wander into a negative spiral.

I've read the Mark Beaumont and Alastair Humphries books. Both very good, but they haven't really helped in this area. I love Alastair Humphries books, he is an excellent writer. I've read the Mark Beaumont book and enjoyed his TV programmes, but found his book a bit negative, it seemed to focus on the problems and challenges which is what I don't want to do, I want to rise above that and enjoy the environment.

I'm reading books about Scott and Shackleton at the moment, those guys took endurance to a whole new level. Reading about these guys is inspiring, but they aren't "how to" books. What I need to know is how they developed the steel to undertake these challenges.
Dean

Post by Dean »

The Long Distance Cyclists' Handbook by Simon Doughty.
helenf

Post by helenf »

Hi M,
Sounds to me like riding a few long Audax rides might be good prep for your next trip? You come across them? They start at 100km, and 200km distances, and there are 400km, 600km, and longer on offer if you fancy.
And lots of cyclists who ride long distance for tips and advice.
www.aukweb.net
Good luck!
Helen
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

Thanks Helen. I have had a look at the website, and the online magazine looks interesting. I'll keep an eye out for events in my area
vinyl_theif

Post by vinyl_theif »

I had a similar situation in 2008 for my Route 66 tour. I could only take a max of four weeks holiday so not deterred meant - with the allowance of a rest day - 100 mile days. A few months before the tour I started returning home from work on a 25 mile loop, instead of the 3 miles that it was. Just keep a positive mental attitude and dismiss any doubters, only you know your own strength.

These books greatly inspired me for my Cape Town tour (listed on the bottom page of my African blog)

Around Africa on my bicycle - Riaan Manser
Discovery road - Andy Brown / Tim Garrat
Why don’t you fly? Back door to Beijing - by Bicycle Christopher J.A. Smith
Long ride for a pie - Tim Mulliner
Riding it Out - Pam Goodall
Odysses’ last stand - Dave Stamboulis
Miles from nowhere - Barbara Savage
You can’t ride a bike to Alaska - Mickey Thomas
Moods of future joys - Alistair Humphreys
Thunder & sunshine - Alistair Humphreys
Cycling home from Siberia - Rob Lilwall
mark http://www.wallisonwheels.net England to Singapore
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

Thanks Mark

Great minds think alike. I'm having challenges with hr at the moment so time may get more squeezed. Which books were the most useful?

Any tips on staying positive on the road?

Martin
psmiffy

Post by psmiffy »

mnichols wrote:Hi,

Does anyone know of any good books about developing the right mindset for spending long days and weeks in the saddle?

There seem to be lots of books out there about going faster, and developing the mindset for competing, but spending long hours in the saddle day after day is a different challenge. I'm not competing, and I'm not looking to go short distances faster or be the quickest up a hill. I'm looking to do longer days (100, 150 maybe 200 miles per day) for up to a month through mountain ranges and deserts.

I want to be able to develop a mindset that will allow me to push my distances and days up, tune out the petty aches and pains, and tune in to the sights, sounds and smells.

I have done quite a few tours of around 1000 miles, but I want to push this up into the several thousand mile range, and as I am still working and have limited holiday the only way I can do this is to extend my daily distances.

I have done a fair number of 1000mile plus tours - physically im not able to do the continuous 100+ thing and im a bit of a heavyweight tourer as well - however, typically over the years I have done relatively long days (10hrs and longer) continuously without rest days - the key is to enjoy it - if it is a chore you are wasting your energy and time - on the occasions that i have done the big transit miles - it is always at the expense of "the sights, sounds and smells"
vinyl_theif

Post by vinyl_theif »

mnichols wrote:Thanks Mark
Great minds think alike. I'm having challenges with hr at the moment so time may get more squeezed. Which books were the most useful?
Any tips on staying positive on the road?
Martin

I’d say that all books fueled my desire to jump-ship for a year. I wanted a big adventure and reading the ‘Around Africa’ book biased me toward Africa – said to be the most difficult continent to travel so it was the obvious contender.

The U.S Route 66 tour challenged me differently, mainly due to each day’s distance, and wanting to take a day off at Williams (Az) to see the Grand Canyon (WOW!!!!!!!) meant I had to keep focused. Upon returning I gave a few local picture-presentations, along with a short introduction of Route 66 itself and the build up to the tour itself.

http://wallisonwheelscompleted.blogspot ... te-66.html

Don't calculate the remaining distance to go but smile at the distance completed so far. Over the BH weekend use one of your days to ride a 100 mile loop...no excuses., update us all afterwards :)
Last edited by vinyl_theif on 30 Apr 2014, 8:34pm, edited 1 time in total.
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

Mark, Did you go through Death Valley? It's currently on the itinerary. I'd be doing it North to South unsupported, possibly in June or July - is this feasible?
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

I've no idea how anybody can do those mileages. I keep stopping totalk to people or admire a view or see some wild food and stuff myself. I linger over brews at the side of the road. I can do 100 mile days but can't be bothered. I think I'm pretty rubbish overall.

Might be worth contacting this guy http://ultralightcycling.blogspot.co.uk/ as he's into big mileages. Nice fella who does reply.
Look forward to reading your ride report. You can tell us how it's done. :)
vinyl_theif

Post by vinyl_theif »

mnichols wrote:Mark, Did you go through Death Valley? It's currently on the itinerary. I'd be doing it North to South unsupported, possibly in June or July - is this feasible?

No, Route 66 passes south from Vegas by ~ 80km or so, whereas death valley is east from Vegas - by about the same distance. Maximum temp I encountered on Route 66 was 45'c in Mohave desert, it could be a couple of degrees warmer, sorry, hotter! as death valley is the lowest area in North America. Be prepared to carry plenty of fluid, say 5 litres minimum. a full brim sun-hat and a white (not dark!!) long-sleeve polyester top helps to stay cooler (reflects heat).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_Valley
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

Hi Jim,

I don't race the route, I'm not that good, but I travel VERY light, and I like to set off as early as the hotel will allow me (usually with a bit of coercing). If I can be on the road at first light then that's perfect. My typical moving average is about 15 mph across the day, but can be 20 mph on a flat, sunny day. So that's only 5 or 6 hours in the saddle, and I've got all day to get there. So, I stop every 2 or 3 hours to refuel and recharge, or as the mood takes me.

I'll sit up and ride relaxed if the view is worth it, but if I'm on a road of no particular interest then I'll get on the drops and put the hammer down as best I can. I'll try to cover these bits as quick as possible so that I can spend my time in places that are more interesting.

I try to stay the night in the locations that I really want to see (Rome, Florence, Venice, Monte Carlo, etc), and I'm typically there by early afternoon, which gives me plenty of time to explore off the bike. I go to bed early, so that I can be up early and refreshed the next day

There's no right or wrong way, it's just my way, and I look forward to it all year :D

I've already got my next 3 tours planned and just wish I had more time

Martin