Paper maps!

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
beano

Paper maps!

Post by beano »

Hi everyone.

We are looking into doing some day touring and are thinking of purchasing some maps, paper ones that is!

Only thing is the choice out there is pretty impressive and at the same time confusing!

What is everyone else using that is also easy and clear for two beginners?

Obviously I don't want to be carrying a load of maps with me also?

Many thanks

:D
freiston

Re: Paper maps!

Post by freiston »

I suppose a lot depends on the sort of roads and routes you will be cycling on. Years ago when I used to cover large (to me) distances, I used to use the 'Barts Motorist Map' series at 1:253 440 (4 miles to the inch) or OS 1:50 000 (1¼ inches to the mile - now marketed as 'Landranger'). Main roads and B roads were a lot more (imho) cycle-friendly and pleasant then and I stuck to them. A route sheet giving me my turns and distances together with the map enabled me to find my way quite easily.

Nowadays, I find main roads much less appealing; I plan my routes with far less discipline and I often take a wrong turn and get lost. Part of this I blame on no longer being able to hold a route in my head after working it out on the map - but I anticipate that this will improve when I obtain a handlebar bag that I can attach a map-case to the top of and follow my route on the map as I go along. I now have a habit of seeking out the more obscure and minor roads/tracks, changing my route on a whim, and I rely on the OS 1:25 000 (2½ inches to the mile) 'Explorer' series.

I have been toying with the idea of using the smartphone (or at least printing out the cue sheet) for routes devised using 'cyclestreets' online - looking at the routes it suggests, I'd be best off using the OS Explorer series with it. If I were to stick to more 'mainstream' routes, I reckon that I would find OS Landranger ample. I haven't looked at anything smaller scale for years.

Just looked at one Landranger sheet that I have - about 25 x 25 miles coverage. An Explorer sheet - about 13½ x 18 miles (I looked at two sheets - one about 13½ x 15½ miles, the other about 13½ x 20 miles).

Hope that this is of some use.
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

If doing day touring, when you will often be doing circular routes, I find the Ordnance Survey 1:50,000 maps are good. You can easily fit a good day's ride on one sheet. Plus there is loads of extra info for sightseeing, etc. They have full contour info (heights).

Before you buy you maybe able to borrow from your local library. If your local branch hasn't got them, you can usually order. In Essex this is all free.

As said, these maps are known as Landranger.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I tend to photocopy sections that I need. For one thing, I often cross map boundaries. For another, I don't mind if a photocopy get wet. I can also mark it up without worrying if I will write over somethign I need another time.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

For on-road route planning I'd second the OS landrangers, they show all the paved public roads and cycle routes as well as all public rights of way. If going off-road I do like the explorer (1:25000) mapping but it's too large scale for normal road touring. Whilst those OS maps are great for route planning, it is easy enough to end up crossing into multiple sheets on a day ride. One option is to carry a photocopy of a road atlas section which tends to be good enough for most rural cycle rides. Often though, I just bite the bullet and carry multiple maps if necessary. There's a sad gap in the market where half-inch touring maps used to be.

Also, if most of your cycling is going to be in a particular area like a national park there are often specific maps which cover the area. I quite like the Harveys maps and the OS Tour series is okay (though basically like enlarged sections of road atlas so a poor substitute for the old half-Inch)
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I use OS Landranger 1:50k (can't recommend them over much else). If this is the option you want then, I would recommend getting them from http://www.aqua3.com (Hope Digital). They print the standard OS Landranger data (licensed by OS) but on plastic laminated paper making them waterproof. As each map is custom printed for you you can select the middle point of the map (so I got my map centred around my own house). Also, you can pay a small extra charge to have additional panels left and right (i.e. wider coverage). And I thought they were a reasonable price.

I do have my local Explorer maps (1:25k) which I used to use for walking - but they are useless (for me) for cycling as they just don't cover a big enough area (even for a circular ride of a few hours).

Ian
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

A couple of years ago I bought Memory Map Landranger for the UK from Memory Map. You can print out any sections you like and put in on your PC, tablet phone etc. It shows everything and on a phone or tablet with GPS shows you exactly where you are. With their free app you can record your track and get speed and height graphs.

Most importantly it shows the pubs!

I usually print out a number of panels for my route and display them in the transparent top of my bar bag. I navigate from that and just get the phone out if I am unsure of where I am. I also bought a complete map of France too.

OS definately make the best maps.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Vinko

Post by Vinko »

Vorpal wrote:I tend to photocopy sections that I need. For one thing, I often cross map boundaries. For another, I don't mind if a photocopy get wet. I can also mark it up without worrying if I will write over somethign I need another time.

Yep....I do that !

Its great fun joining all the bits together too and seeing a long route emerge from a pile of strip maps - using sellotape and pritt stick! My last route started at the upstairs bathroom door and ran all down the stairs and across the hall into the dinning room....it looked so good that I did a second set of photocopies and left the other one stuck on the wall so that Mrs V could follow my progress each day.

I tend to join it all in a long strip and roll it across the map pocket on my bar bag as I cycle along, a bit like a scroll. I also write any "research notes" on the copy too so that I can check out things I have read about at the appropriate place on route, especially likely campsites and spots. Also do extra bits for detailed sections even incorporating Google images on last trip. At the end of each tour I put it, and all the other "memrobillia", into a lever arch file to save for cold winter nights when my knees finally give up on me completly!...Wouldnt be without paper maps, a bit like books .....even though a Smart phone, GPS and a kindle come along too for some trips.

I also find I use a compass quite often, even in this modern day!

Two good skills I learnt as a youngster, map reading with the use of a compass and knot tying :D
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

My favourite scale for cycling is around 1:100,000 (often refered to as '1:100K', or simply '100k'). A quick google reveals some tempting offers from Stanfords, particularly the OS Tour Maps. I quote, "Ordnance Survey's Tour series of indexed regional road maps, with extra clear, uncluttered cartography, national and regional cycle routes, national long-distance hiking trails, extensive tourist information and town navigation maps. Topography is shown by altitude colouring, with additional relief…"

http://travel.stanfords.co.uk/maps/Ordn ... vey%20Tour
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Have been looking at the OS Tour Maps referred to in my earlier post - they look ideal for a beginner, especially from the point of view that each one covers a fairly large area so great for day rides - you'll almost certainly only need one, or two at the most. I'm a little worried that they might not show enough detail for my taste, but as they are meant for cyclists/walkers, let us assume there is enough... I particularly like the inclusion of town navigation - my own nemesis!
coverage of OS Tour map for Devon...
coverage of OS Tour map for Devon...

I have happily settled on using i) GPS for guidance and ii) Xpedition ('specially at full screen) for planning, otherwise I might even buy myself one!
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

They are basically an enlarged road atlas with some additions: http://stanfords.s3.amazonaws.com/sampl ... _carto.jpg I guess it works fine for road touring where navigation isn't too difficult. It's far from optimal though and I certainly wouldn't use them for walking.

Nowhere near as good as the maps they used to produce at that scale: http://www.systemed.net/blog/images/100 ... rlbury.jpg

Progress eh?
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Bicycler wrote:They are basically an enlarged road atlas with some additions: http://stanfords.s3.amazonaws.com/sampl ... _carto.jpg I guess it works fine for road touring where navigation isn't too difficult.
which could make them ideal for a beginner, especially in view of the fact you get the whole area for under a fiver!
Plemty of food for thought for you, Beano! :D
S
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

Yep, fine, if you want one they are £3.24 each here: http://dash4it.co.uk/ordnance-survey-ma ... /tour.html As you say, it's hard to go far wrong at that price.

I like my 1:50000 Landrangers though. I second the suggestion to borrow ones from outside your immediate or regular area from teh library as and when you need them.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

When we were in Italy I photographed the map of the area and kept the pics on the camera. Faster zooming that GPS maps & lots of detail. Windproof, too.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

Oh, those Tour maps are horrible. I cede to no-one in my admiration of the Ordnance Survey's cartographic skills, but I can only presume they got the work experience boy to do the Tour series. There's just so much basic stuff wrong with them: look how the NCN number is so big, the 'Oxenhope Sta' label is floating freely away from the station itself, the tourist attraction labels run into each other (does "Saltaire" belong to "World Heritage Site" or to the "Brewery" label next to it?), and so on. Horrid, horrid things.

The Cycle City maps mentioned in a recent thread are definitely worth considering. Other options are to buy a Philips Navigator or AA Close-Up Britain Atlas and rip the relevant pages out of it - you can sometimes find them remaindered. I think the Close-Up atlas has been discontinued entirely, which is a great shame, but it's going for pennies on eBay.

Or if you want Landrangers, these guys are doing them for £1.99 each: http://www.gaynors.co.uk/products/searc ... anger.aspx . They're good for day touring but a bit bulky for longer rides.
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides