Paper maps!

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Sweep

Re: Paper maps!

Post by Sweep »

+1 for Goldeneye (or sometimes Phillips road atlas sheets) maps with an Etrex running AAs.
Sweep
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Going back to Beano and the paper maps, I've had another look at those OS Tour Maps and they really aren't very good - what a shame! :(
I think what I'd do is either buy the relevant £1.99 Landranger referred to earlier, or else use either StreetMap or Bing to print out the section that covers your Ride of The Day. This means you'll probably end up with a nice coloured A4 map printed on flimsy 80gsm paper, so I would probably pop the map in one of these... there's tons on ebay.
Make your paper map waterproof!
Make your paper map waterproof!
A4 waterproof pouch.jpg (2.64 KiB) Viewed 290 times
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
beano

Post by beano »

Thanks for all your help guys.

There is plenty to look over there! :mrgreen:

Hopefully see you on the roads!
gaz

Post by gaz »

Paper maps proved their value to me once again today.

Whilst out on a bit of an explore on NCN17, using lanes and tracks that I've not been on for a quarter of a century, I came across an American tourist just outside Hollingbourne.

He'd given up on the route, it had gone from a surfaced lane to bumpy track without warning in the way that Sustrans routes so often do. He still needed to get to Canterbury but felt that loaded up with 28 tyres he'd have to rethink his route. Using on-line maps on a Smart Phone he'd already taken one wrong turn and lost a lot of time. He's a volunteer firefighter on a Nigel Dean Tour Ace with a plan to make his way to Dover before heading off to the Netherlands.

I was able to get out an OS Landranger map, show him an alternative road route and started making notes on village names for him to follow. Eventually I realised this wasn't really working, the bit of paper I had wasn't big enough, so I just gave him the map. I don't think I'd have handed over a smart phone quite so readily :lol: .

Retracing would take him about 1 mile off the edge of the sheet before rejoining it, I drew that bit in. The sheet finished about 5 miles short of Canterbury but I assured him NCN18 was acceptable at that point. The sheet itself was nothing short of twenty years old, missing both the M20 and HS1 and had some holes in it; it was still up to the job in hand.

We wished each other a pleasant ride and went our separate ways.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade