Route Kidderminster or Droitwich to Meriden

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
AMC

Route Kidderminster or Droitwich to Meriden

Post by AMC »

Three of us will be cycling from mid Wales to Meriden for the 100th Anniversary in May. We've sorted a route as far as Ludlow, but are trying to figure out a quiet route from there to Meriden, probably via Kidderminster or Droitwich, or points in between. The Sustrans routes don't seem very direct - does anyone have any suggestions? (Bearing in mind we'll have full camping kit & one of us will be towing a dog in a trailer so locked gates & cycle path barriers might be a problem!) Thanks a lot, I don't know the Birmingham area so advice much appreciated.
Kevin_R

Re: Route Kidderminster or Droitwich to Meriden

Post by Kevin_R »

Hi AMC
Hope you have had lots of responses to your query.

If not the following may be of help to you:-

Ludlow - Kidderminster - Meriden is the most direct,
but the A4117 is fast, undulating road with hidden dips & summits.
There are hills at Cleobury Mortimer, Bewdley, Arley, etc. and a major climb at Clee Hill.
Then you have go around or through the Birmingham conurbation to get to Meriden.

Ludlow - Droitwich Spa - Meriden is a longer route, but it should be much more pleasant.
There are quiet routes to Tenbury Wells, then a quiet route which runs south of the River Teme to Stanford, with a steep climb at Stanford Bridge.
Nearer to Droitwich there are limited points where you can cross River Severn, and you have to use a stretch of main road between Holt Fleet and Ombersley.
Then you have the problem of going around or through Redditch.
You could go south of Redditch on Salt Way to Astwood Bank & Studley, then head north-east through Ullenhall, Hockley Heath and Hampton in Arden to Meriden.

I have attached gpx file of a possible route.

I haven't looked at the Sustrans routes, but we were recently touring in the Pennines and some sections were rough and very tough.

Good luck
Kevin
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

Try to avoid Kidderminster unless you know it the town and surroundings can be very busy.

My advice would be to route through Tenbury Wells via Great Witley to Droitwich. The main road can get busy, I ride it occasionally but prefer to use the lane alternatives. Beware if you take the B4204 out of Tenbury there is a steep climb before Sapey Common, the only bad part on this road. As an alternate take the left hand lane 2 miles after Tenbury through Upper Rochford.

After Droitwich go through Alcester, then lanes to Wootton Wawen, Chadwick End, Balsall Common and Meriden. I use this route from Alcester to Meriden at least 3 times a year and it is by far the best way to get there.

Let me know if you need more detail.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
jamesgilbert

Post by jamesgilbert »

Are you aware of the route planner on http://cycle.travel/map ?

Plugging in Ludlow to Alcester gives what looks like quite a nice route.
Kevin_R

Post by Kevin_R »

I agree with Bikepacker.
Coughton (Alcester) to Meriden via Wootton Wawen, Preston Bagot, Lowsonford, Rowington Green, Chadwick End, and Balsall Common.
It looks slightly longer, but it’s a better route.

James Gilbert’s ‘Cycle Travel’ route planner suggestion also looks a good route,
by crossing the River Severn at Stourport you might have the opportunity to enjoy a snack by the Riverside.
AMC

Post by AMC »

Wow! Thanks so much for your responses. I also had a useful reply from the Meriden Rally organiser, so between all these we should be able to find the right route. I'm away for a few days, but as soon as I get a chance I'll check out your suggestions in detail & get back to you if I need any further info. This forum is so good!