Editing GPX routes (Solved)

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
randomblue

Editing GPX routes (Solved)

Post by randomblue »

Hi all!

I'm doing the last few bits of prep ready for setting off in 3 weeks and have a question about GPX routes. Several sections of my route follow eurovelo routes and I've found GPX files showing these routes on [url]biroto.eu[/url] which I wanted to take with me. I was wondering if anyone knows of a way that I can just cut out the section I need from a long GPX route rather than having to load up several thousand km worth of directions? I have garmin basecamp installed but can only seem to find options to create a new route rather than one which allows you to load pre-made gpx's to edit them? Or would I need different software?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Edit: So it turns out this is pretty easy to do in Basecamp, I just had Undefined selected which meant I couldn't import the gpx file.

For anyone who find this thread and wants a sumamry of the solution:
In basecamp import the gpx by selecting my collection on the file organisation on the left, then File > Import and select your GPX file.
Then there's a setting to 'Divide' a route (looks like little scissors snipping a ribbon) if you select this and then click somewhere on your GPX route it'll split into two sections, you then just click then one you want to get rid of and hit delete. Job done! Just export it back to a new GPX file and you and load it onto whatever device you want it on =)

Also, it's apparantly now possible to do this in bikeroutetoaster =)
Last edited by randomblue on 19 Apr 2014, 9:20pm, edited 2 times in total.
LollyKat

Re: Editing GPX routes

Post by LollyKat »

Some of the online mapping sites might help. For instance BikeHike lets you "cut to end", i.e. chop a bit off the end. You can also chop off the beginning if you "reverse route" first.

Edit: I think BikeHike only does UK routes :oops: but I'm sure you will find somewhere that will do the same thing.
freeflow

Post by freeflow »

You might find that it is more reliable to just redraw the sections of the route you want.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Most systems will allow you to move way points
In BAsecamp, select waypoint and then press 'alt" and move it
randomblue

Post by randomblue »

Thanks for the suggestions. I have tried re-drawing but the sections I'm looking at are between 350 and 600km and because they're on bike routes which don't seem to always show up on the map I had trouble getting the re-drawn route to actually match the one shown.

With basecamp I know you can edit the track but I can't seem to find a way to load externally made GPX files, I could only find the options to create one in the basecamp program and then edit that?
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Explore the Basecamp menu randomblue.

Import is under the File drop-down menu which should be top left of your screen.
Sweep
randomblue

Post by randomblue »

Thanks for the tip sweep, just had a look and for some unknown reason Import is greyed out? No obvious reason why >_<
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

make sure the highlight in the box of tricks/routes below the menu (should be top left) isn't on "unlisted data" but is on "my collection" or a list under this.
Sweep
randomblue

Post by randomblue »

Thank you!!! Sorry for my stupid questions!!
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

randomblue wrote:Thanks for the suggestions. I have tried re-drawing but the sections I'm looking at are between 350 and 600km and because they're on bike routes which don't seem to always show up on the map I had trouble getting the re-drawn route to actually match the one shown.

With basecamp I know you can edit the track but I can't seem to find a way to load externally made GPX files, I could only find the options to create one in the basecamp program and then edit that?

Replace the map with an OSM cycle map, and the routes will appear

To import, put the GPX file on your computer, then "File", "Import" and select the file, it then appears on the menu at the left side of the screen, select and edit
soton

Post by soton »

I've done what you want to do, but not without pain.
You open the gpx file with a text editor; on a Mac that would be TextEdit. Then you just delete the characters for the track section(s) you want removed, which characters will look a bit like this: <trkpt lat="34.36034000" lon="134.8384200">
<ele>382.00000</ele>
<time>2010-01-01T00:00:58Z</time>
</trkpt>
One of the requirements to do this successfully is, I think, to delete from the file complete 'quanta' or units of those lat/long/elevation etc bits of data. If you remove more or less than a complete unit the file will probably not display the track at all.
You might need a bit of trial and error to remove exactly the section(s) of the track you want removed, unless you know the lat/long/elevation etc of the start and end of the bit you want removed.
May the force be with you.
randomblue

Re: Editing GPX routes (Solved)

Post by randomblue »

Thanks for the extra suggestions!

Editing it like that sounds not so easy soton!!

Have updated first post to show the problem is solved and to add the solution for anyone finding this thread in future!
BeeKeeper

Post by BeeKeeper »

You can also do this in the revised BikeRouteToaster.com

It is supposed to be possible to insert new Start and Finish points directly onto a route in BRT by just clicking where you want them to be according to the Help menu, but I couldn't get it to work so had to use this more long-winded procedure:

In "Edit Type" select "Section"

Then click where you want the new start point (say) to be then click again on the current start point.

Then select "Delete" This deletes the route between these two points but it still leaves a straight line route between them. To remove this you then need to manually drag the old start point to where the new start point is.

Select "Reroute"

Ditto to chop the end off a route.
randomblue

Post by randomblue »

Good to know! Thanks! =D
sjs

Post by sjs »

You might also try a program called gpsbabel, which has a lot of filtering options, certainly by time, maybe also by lon/lat.