Swiss Mittelland (R5) route

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
johnonhisbike

Swiss Mittelland (R5) route

Post by johnonhisbike »

We are planning a trip to Geneva this summer, down the Rhine past Basel to Waldshutt, then the Aare and the R5 to Geneva. Has anyone done the Swiss section of this route? Is there a (cheap) map ... (all I have been able to find on-line is a pretty expensive guide-book).
I'm thinking that the section isn't that long, so do I really need a map or is the signage good enough? The nice thing about a map though, is planning where to stop for the night, so can you recommend any good campsites along the route.
Thanks for your advice
Peter Molog

Re: Swiss Mittelland (R5) route

Post by Peter Molog »

I've done this route years ago. The signage of the Swiss cycle-routes is almost impeccable. So you don't need the expensive guides for that.
I remember this campsite as a very nice one.
Peter

Please, excuse my English. I'm Dutch.
foxyrider

Re: Swiss Mittelland (R5) route

Post by foxyrider »

you can download + print maps for free from the Veloland website - zoom in and out, move around, find stuff and routes you were unaware of - its in English as well as German/French/Italian if only we had something like this in the UK! :(
http://www.veloland.ch/en/cycling-in-switzerland.html
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!