Leyburn to Reeth: feedback

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
fausto copy

Re: Leyburn to Reeth

Post by fausto copy »

Thanks Ben.
Reassuring to know that the road will almost certainly be open.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

I have never seen the Leyburn to Reeth road closed.
However, if you are looking for scenic (and don't mind steep) from Leyburn I would head west to Wensley (Wensleydale is named for the town of Wensley, not the river, as is more usual) fork right off the main road via Preston-under-scar, at the crossroads carry straight on the "Redmire bypass" ....they will try to tell you its a footpath, but its a gated road, passing to the North of Redmire....at the crossroads, turn right for Grinton on the mad road over the top....although Castle Bolton (straight on) is worth a look.

Redmire bypass....https://www.flickr.com/photos/52358536@N06/4842010716/in/set-72157624486626203/
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

Hi Colin, I've taken note of your suggestion and have had a good look at the route on Bikehike, and good it looks.

However, we'll be "Pass-bagging" (as OCD members) and I've now noticed that if we were to first ride from Leyburn over Leyburn Moor, then drop down and climb up to do the Redmire's Pass (actually recorded on the OCD website as "Greets Moss") we could claim both passes (as there's a drop of over 100 metres between them).
Then, if we do Cleaburn Pasture as well, we'd be claiming 1093 metres climbed, instead of a measly 745 metres on my original plan.

Sounds like a good day out and we wouldn't have to worry about being shot by the Army. :roll:

And you thought that only the pass was mad. :lol:

Ta muchly, fausto.
fausto copy

Re: Leyburn to Reeth: Feedback

Post by fausto copy »

Hi chaps, just to let you know that we did as mentioned in my previous posting.
Cycled from Leyburn up t'hill and turned left onto Leyburn Moor. A bit grim and damp on the top but a nice downhill to Redmire (we were so busy enjoying the scenery that we missed the cycle track off to the right on the approach).

Then up Greets Moss, a looonnng climb, but had a lovely moment near the top when, within one minute, I saw a curlew, a lapwing, a skylark and a grouse ------wonderful.
And what a downhill from there, amazing. Did have to pull up sharply near the bottom as the council were resurfacing the road near Grinton, ready for Le Tour guys, who'll be crossing the (easier :lol: ) Robin's Cross pass from Reeth to Leyburn.

We called into the Dales Cycle centre and café and I didn't after all try out the recommended lemon drizzle cake.
That was only because I had the Yorkshire Chorizo and Mozzarella Panini. Oh my...delicious.
The people in there were really friendly and I told them that they'd been recommended on this forum.

From there we rode in to Reeth for a mosey around the beautiful large village green and then headed out and over Cleaburn Pasture to Marske. By this time the weather was nice and warm and sunny.

The only downer was that the council were also resurfacing the B-road towards Hartley Park and wouldn't let us even walk through, as they said the road was too narrow near the woods. So rode up the A-road and detoured via Barden and Harmby.
The ride from there back up to the main road was the steepest and hardest of the lot. :roll:

Anyway a great day, so thanks for all your tips.

fausto and Mrs. Copy.

P.S. next day we rode down through Wensley and round into Coverdale, where a lovely swoop along the gorgeous dale before heading into Masham. I can thoroughly recommend the Bordar Café in the square; the sausage, egg and chips went down a treat. Popped over to Bedale and the last section back to Leyburn, when we got soaked (for the only time in our 3 weeks away).

I only hope the Tour guys have a bit of time to appreciate what is absolutely magnificent scenery. Thanks Yorkshire. :D