Lanzarote June 2014

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Geoff_N

Lanzarote June 2014

Post by Geoff_N »

Although I am attending an organised writers' week in Punta Mujeres, on the northeast of Lanzarote, I always manage to sneak off every day on a hired bike. I was glad of a mountain bike in parts of Cyprus and Mallorca, but happier with a road bike on the good roads in Greece and Spain. Has folk here any experience of the roads on Lanzarote? I know the main ones are good tarmac but does this mean a road bike will be severely limiting? I'm not a racer, more a plodder. Tips from experience on which bike hire outfits to use would be helpful as well as any general hints. Cheers.
al_yrpal

Re: Lanzarote June 2014

Post by al_yrpal »

Drove around it for a week and never saw any unsurfaced roads. There are a few unsurfaced tracks out to headlands. There is a sports hotel on the North West of the Island and they seem to do a lot of Ironman training from there. Mind the Fumarolls :D

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
hogkite

Post by hogkite »

Geoff,

I've ridden on a couple of holidays in Lanzarote but mainly in the southern part of the island. The roads are really good, you won't have any problem with a road bike and there is some great scenery. You will probably find bike hire companies have some routes for you in the north east but if you want some in the south I could recommend a couple.

Mike
molly

Post by molly »

I stayed in Arrieta last month which is very close to Punta Mujeres. Road bike would be my choice although I did also see plenty of mountain bikers about. There is an excellent coast road north to Orzola and some good loops that can be done but you must be prepared to climb. The route past Tabaesco is steep in places but excellent. I took my own bike but spotted bike hire in Costa Teguise, a few miles to the south. Rather than ride on the main road from Costa Teguise there is a quieter service road that runs alongside for part of the way.
Geoff_N

Post by Geoff_N »

Thanks Molly. It is in Arrieta I am staying. I live within sight of North Wales mountains, so I'm used to climbs. It looks like a road bike for me then :)