Skiiddii advertising trailer for massage table???

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
meg75

Skiiddii advertising trailer for massage table???

Post by meg75 »

Hi there, this isn't technically a touring question but I wanted the opinion of some people with trailer experience...

I'm looking at options for a trailer to carry my massage table, which is 90 x 60cm and around 13kg. I'm used to touring with heavy loads in my panniers but haven't used a trailer before. I'm sure I could adapt a normal trailer but this advertising trailer

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Skiiddii-Advertising-Bike-Trailer-Bicycle-Mobile-Billboards-Fits-most-Bikes-/161271242961?pt=UK_B_I_Business_for_Sale_CV&hash=item258c83e0d1

has caught my eye because the dimensions are just right and there isn't any extra width or weight - plus it's only £49. The downside is that I'd have to mount my table long way up, and I'm wondering whether this trailer would be stable enough or if it would tip over. Also not sure if it looks strong enough for the weight, as it's clearly not designed for it. Any opinions? If you think this is hopeless, what are your opinions re. single vs. two wheel trailers?

Many thanks,
Megan
mercalia

Re: Skiiddii advertising trailer for massage table???

Post by mercalia »

I have the bob yak look a like which uses the same attachment to the bike. One wheel trailer ok if the load is low down but good ness what it like with a sail on the on it! rather you than me. The skewers they come with are very poor in my opinion, a deathtrap I think, as mine broke at 2nd use, so I made my own see for discussions -

http://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=77175&hilit=trailer&start=15

I think u need 2 wheels for what you want. but at £50 may be worth a look. Ignore what the advert says about high quality, the welding on these is quite basic, the sort of job a first timer may do lol And the paint is poor and not durable. I think they imported here as ballast lol
gaz

Post by gaz »

I'd be very worried about carrying your massage table on the skiiddii. I doubt that the trailer is designed for the weight, I would expect side winds to be a big issue and even without them carrying the table vertically is going to give you a very high centre of gravity. I would not expect it to stay upright very long.

Something along the lines of a Carry Freedom Y frame (Large) is probably best suited to the job: http://www.carryfreedom.com/
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
meg75

Post by meg75 »

Ah well, I kind of knew that's the response I'd get but I was still hoping somebody would say it was a good idea :roll:

Lol, Mercalia, I was also looking at trying to adapt the one you got - it being the next cheapest thing available - maybe not such a good idea either!

The carry freedom looks perfect, and I know carrying it flat would be the most stable but I'm afraid of too much width - I think if drivers around here couldn't get around me they'd probably go through me. I might try to find a narrow two wheel trailer and adapt it to carry the table upright but lengthwise, if that makes sense.