Insurance for trips over 100 days

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Nigel Laverick

Insurance for trips over 100 days

Post by Nigel Laverick »

I'm having trouble finding insurance for a trip of over 100 days. Insure and go do not cover cycle touring , the ctc insurers only cover up to 100 days. Can anyone point me to a suitable company- preferably one which does not insist on cycle helmets ?
Thanks Nigel laverick.
Psamathe

Re: Insurance for trips over 100 days

Post by Psamathe »

In case nobody has any suggestions, try checking/searching the Thorn Tree (Lonely Planet) forums. Not cycle specific but quite a few long term travellers come up against the time limits so it comes-up moderately frequently and there are companies that do longer term travel insurance for world travellers - so you might find some companies to contact and check regarding insurance.

Ian
randomblue

Post by randomblue »

Axa does single trip cover up to 365 days which I believe is renewable too?

I was under the impression for the ctc one you just needed the yearly cover if you were going more than 100 days? Admittedly I didn't get as far as reading the small print though!

Will be interested to see what other suggestions come up here as I need insurance for 130 days worth soon!
shane

Post by shane »

Nigel Laverick

Post by Nigel Laverick »

I am going to use AXA . The ctc insurers would only cover 100 days Axa will cover up to a year. They specifically include cycle touring.
Thanks for all replies. Nigel
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Thanks for posting the feedback but could we have a little more info please, eg:

Cost
What is covered (bike or only personal, etc)
Geographical area
Any significant small print
Etc, etc
Marco Panettone

Post by Marco Panettone »

I used 247 Insurance for an 18 month policy which was the cheapest I could find at the time and they cover cycle touring as standard.

http://www.247travelinsurance.co.uk/bac ... -longstay/

Now all I need to do is find a similar policy but starting outside the UK so I can ride back home....
My round the world ride: I Were Right About That Saddle Though
helenf

Post by helenf »

The BMC do up to a year, and have an option that specifically includes cycle-touring..
Helen
randomblue

Post by randomblue »

I have a brief look on money supermarket yesterday (didn't have time then to get into the smallprint) but there seemed to be options starting from about £35 for my 5 month trip in Europe! I'm guessing most of them will have undesireable small print but many of them included cycle touring on their list of acceptable activities which is promising! The main issue I've found was that cycle touring doesn't include personal liability cover which I learnt yesterday is included in CTC membership so hopefully that will make a lot more of the options ok! =)