Advice needed re: pannier sizes for front rack

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
mrjemm

Re: Advice needed re: pannier sizes for front rack

Post by mrjemm »

IIRC those ugly (to me, ok) Spongulised AW(f)OL things are meant to be designed for front biased loading, or something like that... Probablty just marketing blether though.
bikes4two

Post by bikes4two »

One thing about bulky panniers on the front is making sure to avoid high kerbs etc. (I took a tumble on our tandem on day 2 of a LeJog & broke self and bike fixings because of this).

FWIW, we cycle camp on the tandem with 2x28L panniers on the back & 2x16L on the front with the tent on the rear rack and a bar bag.
Without my stoker, every trip would only be half a journey
rtf01

Post by rtf01 »

A big thank you to all who had replied. Your advice and input was greatly appreciated.
I'm thinking to stay with the 56Ltr Altura Drylines on the back & the 36Ltr Altura Skye on the front with my tent on top of the rear rack
92 Lts should be sufficient
Upgrading my front panniers was never about carrying more weight
I have purchased a lot of lightweight stuff but some of it (down sleeping bag & self inflating pillow) can be a bit bulky and leave little space for other stuff
I also believe in being comfortable in my tent after a hard days ride and carry what I need to achieve this!
Thanks again to all