dogs

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
patpalloon

dogs

Post by patpalloon »

Has anyone encountered any problems with dogs on the loose when touring, and if so do you carry anything to deter them? On the rare occasion I've been bothered in the UK, I usually find a quick squirt with the water bottle does the trick.
I feel sure that the genius that did this, didn't even feel a thud as he drove by.
jezer

Re: dogs

Post by jezer »

I've never had a problem with dogs, the owners on the other hand..... :shock:
Power to the pedals
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

Yes.

Usually resulting in a panicked sprint.

Told this was a bad move. Brought some pepper spray (this was in US) and fog'orns. Didn't get to test them, but would probably have just scarpered at the 1st bark though.

It's all very well blaming the owners, but when the dog's chasing you, the owner ain't the problem.

And yes, I've been bitten, though not when riding a bike. That was by an alsatian that appeared to be with a homeless guy in Cork. It's ok though, I never cared for Ireland anyway...
jezer

Post by jezer »

I recall seeing a film some years ago, I think it was called American Flyers. The riders passed a farm with a very savage dog that chased them. It improved their sprinting no end :D
Power to the pedals
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

jezer wrote:I recall seeing a film some years ago, I think it was called American Flyers. The riders passed a farm with a very savage dog that chased them. It improved their sprinting no end :D

Must say, I was impressed with my ability to accelerate fully loaded, and the speeds I could get to, rapidly. But dogs apparently can accelerate very quickly, and clearly run for a way like that (I've never been to the greyhounds, or hare coursing thank you very much). Leaving Madame behind was not the way to play either, hence the aerosols, and intense dislike of aggressive dogs (and their ignorant owners).
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Very seldom.

In the UK I have been denied passage along a lane by a very fierce behaving collie. I was not even going to try to get close enough to try the water bottle or anything else, not that I had one with me.

In France at the Semaine Federale a couple of years ago I saw a bunch ahead of me scatter. Three dogs had a chance to gather themselves before I arrived but with the advanced warning I was armed with a water bottle which I squirted on the road directly in front of them. This was enough to make them rethink. I think that generally the idea of squirting a bottle is a bit of a myth because in many circumstances I suspect you would not have time to reach down, take the bottle, release the top and so on.
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

And my bottles are stainless... :?
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

I've been bitten three times, though only once enough to break the skin and then only a graze. I've also done some amazing sprints -- didn't know I had it in me :lol: .
feefee8

Post by feefee8 »

I was brought to a halt by a couple of friendly labs this weekend (on an old railway line). I'm not great with dogs but I might only have been in danger of being licked! The owner looked like he was trying to train them....
b1ke

Post by b1ke »

Usually resulting in a panicked sprint.

I can relate to that.

We've been chased in Morocco both times we've been there. Sprinting is only useful on the flat or downhill. Uphill, I tend to stop and then the dogs do too. I suppose you're no longer prey. We kept the bike between us and them and it worked fine. The other thing is they're normally guarding their territory, so once you're out of what they deem as homeground, they tend to give up the chase. That said, I'm sure there are exceptions to most of the above :?
http://www.farewellburt.wordpress.com - Europe on a Tandem....
http://www.thespokeandwords.wordpress.com - West Africa on a Tandem....
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

Yes, the one that chased Madame across the road, having ran straight under the fence (thank heavens for little traffic), and the one that chased us along the freeway for a while, having run across the 'green', through some homes, and onto the verge. Here there was traffic, so no moving over! Apparently in hog hunting areas, 'chase dogs' are popular, ho hum.

My fear of dogs stems probably from as a child on holiday in France, being chased at a beach (Le Treport?) into the sea until I dared go no further, them following me into the water, and barking at me from a couple of metres away. I think I was about 9 and had been playing in the 'surf' IIRC. I doubt it was their territory!
patpalloon

Post by patpalloon »

For any of our cycle tourists that have ventured a bit further afield, how about large carnivores like bears, big cats etc?
I feel sure that the genius that did this, didn't even feel a thud as he drove by.
Vinko

Post by Vinko »

I have got one of those "Dog Dazer" things.

I must admit I have never used it, in fact I have stopped carrying it around to be honest.

Having said that, I have yet to be bothered by dogs, so perhaps it works - even if its at home when I'm on the bike.

- Wish that was the same for my waterproof jacket :D
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

In my experience loose dogs are commoner in France than here - in Brittany and Normandy at least, a lot of farms seem to come equipped with 2 dogs. The first is small, curly-haired and lazy - it often starts off as white, but after several years of lying around in the yard, turns into mottled grey. It can't be bothered to act unless someone actually enters the yard, when it is a toss-up between it yapping excitedly or taking absolutley no notice at all. It belongs to madame.
The other belongs to no-one in particular and is kept exclusively as a four-legged burgler alarm. It's nearly always a mongrel, large, kept slightly short of food, and is somewhat curmodgenly, due to the whole family having been rude to it for as long as it can remember... If it hears your bike coming it will get up and rocket at you, trying to gain points by at least looking as if it means business - it has learnt that this is expected of it. However, all is not lost. It may be chained, (quite common in northern France), there may be a gate, (not very common in northern France) and best of all, the aggressive behaviour may turn out to be all for show (remember, it is trying to earn brownie points and it doesn't really mind from whom...). In the event, it may run out of steam as it passes onto the road, having considered that it has done its job; it may actually go to the length of running up to you but often turns out to be either friendly or contemptuously dismissive (after all, it takes effort to bite you). Every once in a while, it might actually head for you in such a determined manner that you have to do the sprint or spray, but - so far - I've never been bitten!
(Do not blame me if your experience differs from mine.)
Having said all that, there's a pair of massive Alsatians (they're not GSDs in France, ;-)) who dominate the road , round the corner from my friend's place in Brittany, and no-one, not even the postie, has the nerve to attempt to pass them and enter the farm. They are such a fixture that they are visible from space, showing clearly in the relevant GeoPortail (France's very own Google Maps) image!
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Garry Booth

Post by Garry Booth »

The recently deceased bike fixing guru Richard Ballentine had some strong words on dog defence tactics: he was normally a sensible chap and his bike book is excellent. But he loses it a bit with man's best friend.
"If the dog attacks: one defense is aerosol pepper sprays made for this purpose. They have a range of about ten feet and are light enough to clip to your handlebars. A water pistol loaded with a water-amonia solution will also work but is a good deal less convenient. If you have neither of these and can't or won't climb a tree get a stick or a large rock. No? The bicycle pump. Try to ram it down his throat. In any event, don't cower or cover up, because the dog will only chew you to ribbons. Attack. Any small dog can simply be hoisted up by the legs and his brains dashed out. With a big dog you are fighting for your life. If you are weaponless try to tangle him up in your bike and then strangle him. Kicks to the genitals and which break ribs are effective. If you have got a pump or a stick hold it at both ends and offer it up to the dog horizontally. Often the dog will bit the stick/pump and hang on. Immediately lift the dog up and deliver a very solid kick to the gemitals. Follow up with breaking the dogs ribs or crushing its head with a rock. If worst comes to worst ram your entire arm down its throat. He will choke and die. Better your arm than your throat."