dogs

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
mrjemm

Re: dogs

Post by mrjemm »

It seems quite clear, and logical, that there is no real hard and fast rule. Dogs, like all other animals (including humans) are individual, whether influenced by another ('master', pack alpha, whatever) or not. It needs to be accepted that dogs are a hazard (be that high risk or low), and we are best to be aware of them. Some will not give a damn for us, while some will not give a damn what we do to repel them. Key word here is 'unpredictable'.

As Pete suggests, some places are worse for dog situations than others; with regards to USA, our experience of the NW was very good- 1 angry dog in about 1200 miles (Seven Devils Road, nr Charleston), whilst our experience of the SE was the opposite- numerous angry dogs with several chases; trip of about 720 miles, but almost all of those were in the 'armpit' of Florida. It can be viewed in a very non-PC way and generalised regarding social status influencing dog choice by owner, and subsequent treatment and training of said dog, but again, this is not something that can be regarded so precisely or exclusively.

I hate aggression. (Though I have been accused of passive-aggressiveness; ironic 'ey?).
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

Seems turkeys are troublesome too-

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/forum/bo ... sted=0&v=i

:shock:

Didn't know about this, thankfully- saw several around the same time as the recent dog incidents. Would have been even more anxious.
ossie

Post by ossie »

albal1 wrote:Surprised nobody carries a few dog biscuits, in the bar bag, rear pocket, in troublesome areas.

Do you know what , I think youve hit the nail on the head. Ive done some "stuff" over the years that involves sneaking around premises and naturally dogs are part and parcel and one thing that distracts them or shuts them up is a tasty treat.

However dont let the dog murderers / beaters distract you from this basic fact.

The problem is that i doubt anyone is willing to test it in action on the road :D
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yesterday, I saw a lady with six dogs on leads walking along the road.
These dogs were all shapes and sizes and all on individual leads.

When she saw me approaching, she tugged them all in and held them close until I'd passed.

SIX DOGS. :shock:

Why for goodness sake?
Mick F. Cornwall
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Mick F wrote:Yesterday, I saw a lady with six dogs on leads walking along the road.

When she saw me approaching, she tugged them all in and held them close until I'd passed.

Why for goodness sake?

Professional dog walker ?

But, being positive, she was aware of the potential reaction from 1 or more dogs and restrained them. An indication of responsible ownership and praiseworthy.

Ian
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

Mick F wrote:Yesterday, I saw a lady with six dogs on leads walking along the road.

Why for goodness sake?

"Professional" (or pocket money at least) dog walker. Or trainer.

After some of our aforementioned incidents we approached a junction, where there was a frail looking elderly gentleman with a positive plethora of pooches (sorry for the gratuitous p-play)- well over six, perhaps over ten, including some really rather intimidating creatures of the pit/ogre variety. He was crossing the road (on foot in America? Wow!) to our side, so we held back and when he got to the other side I politely called to ask if it was OK to pass. He agreed it was so, and we did, but they were very interested in us, and if they decided to come at us, this codger could no way have stopped them physically. I assumed he was training them somehow, but I wasn't going to stop to find out.

Having struggled (along with the girl who was already struggling when I joined in) to hold a young Staffie bidge (I won't test the auto swear thingy) that with it's brother had been attacking another dog outside my house once, I know how much potential strength there is in these chunk of gristle. That little thing broke out of it's (admittedly under spec (duh) collar) and 2 of us struggled to hold it before we managed to lock it in my boot- which it subsequently escaped from and smeared it's pooey behind all around the interior, yum. So not a chance for a tank of a man to restrain a pack, let alone a frail codger.
jamesgilbert

Post by jamesgilbert »

Mick F wrote:SIX DOGS. :shock:

Why for goodness sake?

I saw this guy in Buenos Aires last year :wink:
Attachments
P1060008-1024x1024.jpg