new tyres?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
patpalloon

Re: new tyres?

Post by patpalloon »

vinyl_theif wrote:
patpalloon wrote:Marathon or Marathon Plus. Dawes Galaxies all come with plain Marathon. Also the tyres on it now are Kevlar guard, whereas newer ones are 'Greenguard'. Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

Patpalloon, the 'Green' refers to the use of recycled latex in production. I - as no doubt with most on here - am keen on lowering emissions so am intrigued to see how they fare. For my up-n-coming tour I've already bought the Marathon 'Plus Tour'. Previously covering 32500 km, using just 3 sets of tyres I only had two (2!) flats! :D

A full list of the Marathon range is listed here: http://www.schwalbe.co.uk/tour/marathon/

interesting, vinyl thief. I see your marathon plus have the Kevlar guard in them. I wanted to replace my tyres with the same ones, have managed to find some through Spa Cycles - hs368.
I feel sure that the genius that did this, didn't even feel a thud as he drove by.
cyclingnomad

Re: new tyres?

Post by cyclingnomad »

We have been using Marathon Mondials 26 * 1.25 on our touring bikes www.cycling-nomads.com and so far after 9,000kms they have plenty of tread left and should be good for another 9,000 easily. We have had only 1 puncture and they are great on tracks as well as the road. The roads in Turkey have a very coarse surface so we have dropped the pressures to smooth our ride 35psi. Our bikes are fully loaded with front and rear panniers and a tent. They weren't readily available in the UK when we left last year so I ordered them from bike24.de.