Tour report to make you scream?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
BeeKeeper

Re: Tour report to make you scream?

Post by BeeKeeper »

This journal was featured on Crazy Guy last week. It is a great example of the sort of blog you want to read - because it is very funny. As a bike ride it is not a great success but as an entertaining read it is: https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/pag ... 91350&v=7G

Example: "Here are some pics of the scenery. Sorry about the clouds, I blew as hard as I could but they wouldn't budge. "
jamesgilbert

Post by jamesgilbert »

It's (obviously) a very subjective thing, personally I find that account a bit too 'wacky' for my taste.

The question of how much detail to record is quite interesting - on tour you only have a limited amount of time each day for writing journals, often in an uncomfortable position lying in a tent, so it's unlikely that you'd be able to write a novel on tour. I try to write down some of the more interesting little anecdotes from the day rather than what time I got up, what I ate for lunch, etc. For me it's the small details that I could easily forget that are worth recording.

Another question entirely is what to publish online, and it depends whether the report is intended for your own use only, for family and friends or for complete strangers. The majority of tour reports I look at are in preparation for my own tours, so I just want some nice photos and a general idea of what to expect, I don't want a work of literary genius.
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

My thoughts are with "the nice young woman" he was talking to on the plane.
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

Some people use blogs basically in the same way as they would a diary. I even know someone who has never given anyone the address of her blog. For her it is just an electronic diary. There's a vague hope this wasn't for general consumption.
PJ520

Post by PJ520 »

I rode across the US with a man who literally filled in a spreadsheet at the end of each day. Him: "How many miles have you got?" Me: "54.3" Him: "I've got 54.5" and so on and on and on.
You only live once, which is enough if you do it right. - Mae West
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Come on Pete, confess, you'll feel better for it.

You made good use of a spare tube and a bike pump and left him under a cactus didn't you?

Repent. We'll understand.
Sweep
toekneep

Post by toekneep »

BeeKeeper wrote:This journal was featured on Crazy Guy last week. It is a great example of the sort of blog you want to read - because it is very funny. As a bike ride it is not a great success but as an entertaining read it is: https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/pag ... 91350&v=7G

Example: "Here are some pics of the scenery. Sorry about the clouds, I blew as hard as I could but they wouldn't budge. "

I think I could relate to the author of that blog. The strap line on ours is; "Round Britain by Bike - probably". I promise I didn't steal that from him.

On the original topic, I once read John Merril's(sp) book about his walk round the coast of Ireland. There are only so many lists of birds, flowers, trees etc. that you can read without falling asleep.