Norwich to York in a couple of days

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Garry Booth

Norwich to York in a couple of days

Post by Garry Booth »

Does anyone have any suggestions for a route from Norwich to York. Plus any thoughts on stopovers (Boston?), roads to avoid etc.
The Sustrans Route 1 is an obvious route to follow but is rather long I reckon for 2 days. I have a Garmin that I can key into. G
foxyrider

Re: Norwich to York in a couple of days

Post by foxyrider »

Kings Lynn - Boston - Lincoln - Scunthorpe - Goole - York

You can use quite a lot of quieter roads although the terrain can be rather boring and if the wind blows the wrong way...
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
mjr

Post by mjr »

I think http://cycle.travel/map/journey/6537 is a good route King's Lynn (actually Lynnsport, 1 mile E of the town centre on NCN1) to Norwich and should work in reverse. It's 45 miles, which is about 25 miles shorter than NCN 1 - you can shave a mile or two more off but I don't think the changes it would require are worth it. You'll miss some great sea views on the NCN 1 between Wells and Sandringham, but the Wensum Valley and Gaywood Valley aren't ugly.

Cycle.travel picks an interesting route to Boston, closer to the Wash coast than I've tried. It's only about a mile longer and if you don't want to look at Long Sutton or Holbeach, it's probably much more peaceful and you could probably get a shift on if the wind's kind.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
CJ

Post by CJ »

I reckon that http://cycle.travel/map will generally plan a much more expedient but nevertheless enjoyable and reasonably peaceful route, compared to anything than Sustrans have managed to arrange. It'll use bits of NCN here and there, where they go in a sensible direction, but not where NCN becomes ridiculously circuitous.

Sticking in Norwich and York yields 204 miles. I'd rather spend three days, but it's dead flat so a ton a day should not be too horrible.
Chris Juden
One lady owner, never raced or jumped.
Garry Booth

Post by Garry Booth »

Sorry for the delay in replying - but thanks very much guys for your helpful input. Garry
Garry Booth

Post by Garry Booth »

That cycle travel website is a revelation, btw. G