Does anyone want to cycle to Poland

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Ranger Darren

Does anyone want to cycle to Poland

Post by Ranger Darren »

You may have seen an earlier post I put on here about cycling to Russia. My plans have changed slightly and Ive decided not to actually go into Russia itself but to just get to the border and then fly home from Gdansk (£40 on Ryanair) in Poland about 50 miles away. Its still going to be about same distance, probably just under 1200 miles from where I hope to start in Gloucestershire which I hope to do in 12 days.
Its going to be fairly flat as Im going through North France, Belgium, Holland, North Germany and Poland.
I am limited to when I can go but hope to set off in the last week of May.

If anyone is interested in joining me (and dont all rush at once) then please let me know as Im hoping to book iot very soon.

Thanks. Darren :P
Psamathe

Re: Does anyone want to cycle to Poland

Post by Psamathe »

Ranger Darren wrote:You may have seen an earlier post I put on here about cycling to Russia. My plans have changed slightly and Ive decided not to actually go into Russia itself but to just get to the border ...

Could be a challenge and might not be as far as you think - though a lot depends on when you go with respect to Russia's ever changing borders. Delay departure much longer and Russia might have got bigger.

Or, maybe you get to where the border is shown on you map (downloaded on departure) and you wake up next morning to find you are now way inside Russia (and the passing tanks did not even wake you up).

Ian
Nigel Laverick

Post by Nigel Laverick »

I made the mistake of touring in southern Poland and Slovakia about 6 years ago. I've just about recovered. The driving was TERRIBLE. I was driven off the road by oncoming cars , had the hair on my arms shaved by trucks 'overtaking' .... Things may have changed.
Ron

Post by Ron »

I cycled along the north coast of Poland to Gdansk a few years ago and it was fine, much of the route on paths or quiet roads. However after heading south from Gdansk I had one scare too many as a result of reckless driving and I took a train back to Szczecin. I have never seen so many L plates on cars in one day in my life than what I saw in Gdansk!