Have you cycled up Bealach-na-ba?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
CJ

Post by CJ »

Wife and I rode it on the tandem, from the Applecross side some 25 years ago. I don't recall the road from Torridon being all that hilly, but we were fitter then and accustomed to the Peak District. That day's ride took us from Torridon YH to Broadford (Skye) and also included Mam Ratagan, which we honked all the way up in order not to have to wait another hour for the ferry to Kylerhea.

Since you start at sea level, attaining these summits - particularly the Bealach na Ba - involves as much climbing as an easy alpine pass, some of which start from a very high altitude already. For example (an extreme one): come over the Julierpass into the Engadin, turn right and you'll only have to climb a couple of hundred metres before dropping over the strangely one-sided Malojapass.

As it happens, we did also ride the Tourmalet on that tandem and can assure you that it is quite a lot more arduous. That day we only managed the one pass, had to mend the freewheel part way up and needed to stop for a breather a couple of other times too!
Chris Juden
One lady owner, never raced or jumped.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

My Grand Tour is starting to take shape.

I plan to let the 'Train take the Strain' to Edinburgh and cycle back to Cornwall via some "interesting places". At least, they'll have to interest me!

My first aim is to cycle to Inverness from Edinburgh via Pitlochry, and then head west via the south of Beauly Firth and Muir of Ord.

60 odd miles later, I should reach Lochcarron/Kirkton/Slumbay on the shores of Loch Carron. I'd like to stay there a couple of nights.

My plan is to leave my trailer, and tackle The Pass of the Cattle, lunch at Applecross down by the sea, then make my way round to the north via Loch Torridon and back to my digs. Following day I'll head to Kyle, then Skye, Oban, Mull of Kintyre ..................

Where's the best place to stay near or in Lochcarron? B+B? Hotel?
Any ideas?
Mick F. Cornwall
treejamie

Post by treejamie »

there is not a whole load in Lochcarron. a shinty pitch if thats your game :lol: i just passed through and had lunch.

If possible stop at the Kishorn Seafood Bar, somewhere about NG84?401to4 thats as accurate as the grid ref will get, sorry.

Jamie
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Did it!

The pass is as hard as you can imagine. I expected it hard, and it was. I stopped lots, I couldn't have done it all in one go. You'd have to be super-human to manage that!

I did it anyway.

The road starts off over a stone bridge, then rises innocently enough. But the further you go, the steeper it gets, until you feel it can't go on! 2073 ft according to my Garmin.

Coming down to Applecross was hard too. The hill is steep without many good long bits, so the brakes are constantly on and off. I was worried about them overheating.

The ride round to the north by Loch Torridon was worse IMHO. Steep and sudden hills, they went on and on and on. Even when you pop out on the Shieldeg road and head south, the road never lets up. Uphill for 4 miles!

Some photos to see:

And the profile of Lochcarron and back.
Mick F. Cornwall
PW

Post by PW »

PW wrote:The coast road is a bit of a pig. Proper roller coaster in fact.

You were warned! :wink:
If at first you don't succeed - cheat!!
Les Reay

Post by Les Reay »

My experience of cycling over the Pass of the Cattle last year was similar to treejamie's, dull and drizzly, only without the wind, so there was the added problem of a midge reception at the top.
I think I was carrying a bit more than Mick F, so it was a struggle, but the cars coming down gave me reason to stop every few minutes.
It rained non-stop in the camp site above the village but the ride around the coast road was spectacular and made up for all the disadvantages of a very wet summer.

ImageImage
Graham

Post by Graham »

Mick F wrote:The pass is as hard as you can imagine. I expected it hard, and it was. I stopped lots, I couldn't have done it all in one go. You'd have to be super-human to manage that!

Yes, I am 8)

Thanks for the pics : very nice. I'm glad you made it up and around the peninsula. ( I admit that I did not do the northern loop, having been driven round it by car - beautiful, but double 'ard. )
Bogalvator

Re: Bealach na Ba - Applecross

Post by Bogalvator »

OLD THREAD ALERT!

I'm thinking of attempting "The Bealach" next week. The lowest gear on my road bike is 40 - 32, do you think I'll manage? Or just use my MTB with slicks, and also 28t chain ring?

Obviously depends on the individual, but as a reference on a recent trip to Devon using a bike with 40 - 28 lowest gear, I found I was OK up to 15% gradient, 15% - 20% I could manage for a short period standing up on the pedals, and above 20% I was off and walking (which happened on several occasions, much to my discontent - never had to stop and walk in 3 years cycling around Northamptonshire!)
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

I am 71 and climbed it in July on a touring bike with 26 -32 lowest gears. I deliberately took it easy as last time I climbed it I tore a leg muscle this time it gave me no real problem.

There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Bogalvator wrote:I'm thinking of attempting "The Bealach" next week. The lowest gear on my road bike is 40 - 32, do you think I'll manage?
It'll be hard.

I did it with a 30f 29r and I stopped a few times to take photographs. :oops:
I reckon I could do it non-stop these days because I'm half a stone lighter than I was in 2008 and I also have a 30/30 bottom gear now.

40 32 will be difficult, but hey! why not stop every now and again, admire the view and get your breath back. :D
The hill is long, very long. It's not the steepness that is the problem, it's the fact that it goes on and on and on and on.
Mick F. Cornwall
rfryer

Post by rfryer »

I've ridden it several times, but wouldn't enjoy it so much on 40x32. My bottom gear is 34x32, and I spend a fair bit of the climb in it.

The advice to stop frequently is all very well, but I'd have trouble setting off again with that gearing. But maybe you're stronger than me!
Bogalvator

Post by Bogalvator »

Thought I'd post an update.

I went for it with my roadie with 40 - 32 lowest gear. Hand was forced in the end as the MTB was at the LBS and didn't get it back in time for the trip.

Started at Lochcarron. Wondered what I'd let me myself in for as the hill out of Lochcarron was quite unexpected. But got through that (already having used the low gear on this which had me worried) and then got to within site of the hairpins on the mountain without too much issue. And then, I had to stop for a rest... or two! It was this steep section that did me. Stopped first time, downed my half litre water bottle, then set off again but it was no good. After another 25 or so yards I stopped at one of the streams running down the hill and stuck my head in to the flow! After cooling down sufficiently I cracked on and somehow made it to the bends, and from there I was able to haul it round to the top.

So basically my assessment is that I would definitely have preferred a lower gear! I'd be confident a 34 - 32 would be comfortable enough for me personally. Or a "granny ring" wouldn't do any harm, either option is recommended for any prospective attemptees.

Conditions were hazy, temps around mid / high teens, with virtually no wind, so can't complain with that at all really. Well worth doing if you get the chance.
horizon

Have you cycled up Bealach-na-ba?

Post by horizon »

Is it cycleable unpowered?

Here's a nice video from Volt - not sure what to make of it:

https://voltbikes.co.uk/blog/video/volt ... ach-na-ba/
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Hobbs1951

Re: Have you cycled up Bealach-na-ba?

Post by Hobbs1951 »

horizon wrote:Is it cycleable unpowered?

Here's a nice video from Volt - not sure what to make of it:

https://voltbikes.co.uk/blog/video/volt ... ach-na-ba/

Cycled, motorcycled and driven...before many had even heard of it !

John.
mattsccm

Re: Have you cycled up Bealach-na-ba?

Post by mattsccm »

Yeah. Had a nice morning having had an ice cream before I went over from the east, then another in Applecross and a 3rd after going back over.At least it was sunny.
In the rain it is less fun.