Car Parking North of Great Glen

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)

Car Parking North of Great Glen

Postby bikepacker » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:05 pm

I shall be touring North Scotland in May and a friend want to drive up and spend a couple of weeks with me. We would like to meet up somewhere near to Inverness. Does any forum member know of a secure parking place in that area where he could leave the car?
to be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best night and day to make you just like everybody else means to fight the hardest battle there is to fight and never stop fighting e e cummings
http://www.bikepacker.co.uk
bikepacker

Re: Car Parking North of Great Glen

Postby irc » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:28 pm

Council car park. CCTV, patrolled, and £2 a day for long term parking.

Old Town Rose Street Multi Storey Car Park
(Park Mark Award)
Farraline Park
Inverness
IV1 1NH

Sat Nav Postcode: IV1 1NQ
Telephone : 01463 239786
Mobile : 07810 834505

http://www.highland.gov.uk/yourenvironm ... rparks.htm
irc

Postby bikepacker » Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:55 pm

Thanks for the link but I had already Googled that.

Having allowed parking on my drive for cyclists wishing to tour from here I was hoping someone local to the area may have come up with a similar offer.
to be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best night and day to make you just like everybody else means to fight the hardest battle there is to fight and never stop fighting e e cummings
http://www.bikepacker.co.uk
bikepacker

Postby andrew_s » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:07 pm

You could also check out regular town car parks on google streetview for the absence of "no overnight parking" notices or similar. I've parked for a week or so in a couple on that basis whilst I went off cycling (Oban & Ballater). It does require a fallback if streetview turns out to be wrong.
Perhaps Dingwall ? (but not by the railway station/football ground).
andrew_s

Postby BeeKeeper » Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:15 am

Probably not the cheapest, but probably the safest, try long term parking at Inverness Airport.
BeeKeeper

Postby SimonCelsa » Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:16 pm

Hello Bikepacker,

I've just finished my contract on a Chinese LNG ship & am currently in Shanghai waiting for my flight home to Inverness. Due to some earlier fog delays (ship not plane) my flight is not due into Inverness until April 3rd pending some tight connection at Manchester.

I should be home for around 3 months more or less & live pretty central (IV2 4AG). I have 3 school age kids so will probably not be venturing too far afield this time home.

If your mate gets stuck then I have space off road in my front garden (my car lives in a carport when I'm away & the wife doesn't drive).

It would be free/gratis but obviously I cannot guarantee the security etc (my car has been OK these past few years so I would say it would probably be acceptably safe).

Anyway if you are interested then get in touch via PM, bearing in mind I may not be in a position to telephone until I get home.

All the best, Simon

P.S your friend doesn't drive a stretch Hummer by chance??!!
SimonCelsa

Return to Touring & Expedition