Cuba Holguin - bike hire where?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
andy_scot_uk

Cuba Holguin - bike hire where?

Post by andy_scot_uk »

I need to hire 4 bikes near Holguin in south East Cuba but it is proving impossible to organise. Any one got any tips on where I might get 4 bikes?

I booked a hotel with bike hire but now they tell me they do not have bikes despite the web site saying so. The second week we are on an organised bike tour west of Havana.

Andy
mjr

Re: Cuba Holguin - bike hire where?

Post by mjr »

Have you asked hotel and tour organisers if they can help? Cuban organisation is rather random in my experience but usually works out in the end and many people are pretty helpful.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
andy_scot_uk

Post by andy_scot_uk »

Yes, done all that and was met with a "it is not possible" reply.been on lonely planet and trip advisor forums too. Long shot posting here.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I toured in Cuba for 2 months last year and didn't see anywhere that had decent bikes, let alone for rental. I did see a few organised tours and I assume that some of the people were on bikes from the tour company. I find it hard to believe that someone runs bike tours in Cuba but doesn't supply bikes.

I did see a couple of tourists who had hired half decent bikes, they said they got them from a European living in Cuba. I think they found him on the net.

Your question on LP was only about hiring in Holguin, when in fact you want to hire (I guess) in Havana or Vinales. Maybe a more general question about hiring there or anywhere may elicit a better response.

Putting: bike hire Cuba into Google brought up a couple of companies eg. https://www.wowcuba.com/wowcuba2/articu ... d_idioma=2
andy_scot_uk

Post by andy_scot_uk »

Simon

Thanks for the help. The tour companies that hire bikes are either in Havana which is 12 hours away or want you to book a tour with them. Emailed a few. Very frustrating. We booked the flights to Cuba as they were cheap thinking we would be able to hire bikes and travel about like you do in Europe. Big mistake. Eventually opted for a beach resort with bikes as it appeared the only way I could get access to bikes but resort say they do not have bikes now. Tried local contacts in Holguin but no joy there as no-one has ever heard of bike hire. The second week in Cuba we are on an organised bike tour in Havana and Vinales.

Andy
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I'm sorry but you don't really make it clear. If I understand you correctly, you are sorted for your second week tour and only want to hire bikes for the first week.

If so, forget it, just enjoy the beach!

The info on the hotel's website is probably a mix of wishful thinking and lie.

You will understand when you get to Cuba - there is very little of anything available. I spent weeks just trying to buy a pump.

I spent a couple of nights in the nearby town of Gibara and it was like being in a post apocalypse recovery movie. Semi-derilict and only basic supplies. Of course if you had lots of CUC (tourist money) you could stay in some splendour in towns newly refurbished hotel.

Holguin might show as a large town, but again there is very little in the way of consumer products available

Just enjoy your time on the beach. The cycling around Vinales, etc is much better and worth the wait.
mjr

Post by mjr »

simonhill wrote:You will understand when you get to Cuba - there is very little of anything available. I spent weeks just trying to buy a pump.

Really? There seemed to be quite a bit available when I was there years ago, but it was rather unpredictable what would be available where when and the whole system's really not set up for things to be bought easily on a whim by tourists. Things that had to be imported from far away were especially difficult, thanks to the US and its friends like Panama, and that will probably make keeping a bicycle on the road a challenge. If you're really set on cycling and have no other option, have you considered taking bikes and some spares in your luggage? Probably not a cheap option and I'd probably expect to have to leave the bikes in Cuba - hopefully at a time and place of my choosing but I wouldn't bet on it.

Andy - I guess what I really want to ask is: have you experienced Cuba before? It's lovely but so so random. http://wikitravel.org/en/Cuba#By_bike says "You will have to bring your own bike as bikes suitable for trekking are not readily available in Cuba. Do not under any circumstances rent a bike (i.e. el Orbe in Havana) in Cuba as you will get a Chinese junker or something that will leave your backside raw. "
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

We went to Cuba last year and hired Specialized Hardrock MTBs. We were advised to bring spare tubes, and our own saddles and pedals. We were on an organised tour and the bikes were provided by the tour company. It was all organised by Cycle Active in the UK who also provided a British guide. The Cuba tour company provided a Cuban cycling guide and a tour bus and driver to follow us around and take all of our luggage.

The MTB's were solid and the whole group had no problems, save for a couple of punctures, during the 2 week tour.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
andy_scot_uk

Post by andy_scot_uk »

simonhill wrote:I'm sorry but you don't really make it clear. If I understand you correctly, you are sorted for your second week tour and only want to hire bikes for the first week.

If so, forget it, just enjoy the beach!

The info on the hotel's website is probably a mix of wishful thinking and lie.

You will understand when you get to Cuba - there is very little of anything available. I spent weeks just trying to buy a pump.

I spent a couple of nights in the nearby town of Gibara and it was like being in a post apocalypse recovery movie. Semi-derilict and only basic supplies. Of course if you had lots of CUC (tourist money) you could stay in some splendour in towns newly refurbished hotel.

Holguin might show as a large town, but again there is very little in the way of consumer products available

Just enjoy your time on the beach. The cycling around Vinales, etc is much better and worth the wait.

Yes, I have a bike tour organised the second week. The flights we got to Holguin were cheap and were organised around the dates of the bike tour. I thought it would be like non-tourist areas of Portugal in Cuba....but it looks like I'll have to try to enjoy the beach!
andy_scot_uk

Post by andy_scot_uk »

mjr wrote:Andy - I guess what I really want to ask is: have you experienced Cuba before? It's lovely but so so random. http://wikitravel.org/en/Cuba#By_bike says "You will have to bring your own bike as bikes suitable for trekking are not readily available in Cuba. Do not under any circumstances rent a bike (i.e. el Orbe in Havana) in Cuba as you will get a Chinese junker or something that will leave your backside raw. "

Not been there before. Think I'm under prepared :oops: