Ryanair Bicycle weight??

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
onrbikes

Ryanair Bicycle weight??

Post by onrbikes »

I did a search and haven't quite found the answer

Am flying with Ryanair out of Gatwick and have prepaid the Large Sports bag and thought it said 30kg.
On closer reading I think it means thats the max is 30kg and the weight paid for may be 20kg.

What is the allowable weight for the bike?
HarryD

Re: Ryanair Bicycle weight??

Post by HarryD »

You've paid for a bike + bike bag/box weighing up to 20kg. If it weighs more than 20kg you will be charged excess baggage at £10/kg but it must not weigh more than 30kg otherwise they won't take it.

Info (edited) on their FAQs page under baggage is:
"Any sporting and musical item weighing over the 20 kilos allowance will be charged for the excess at the applicable excess baggage rate per kilo. * Bicycles - MUST be contained in a protective box or bag in order to be accepted for travel."

If you know you are going over consider using a second bag for some of your stuff

HarryD
onrbikes

Post by onrbikes »

Am now really confused after finding this one.

http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/taking-a-bike-on-ryanair.132339/

it says 30kg.
Ryanair is like any budget airline, which I have no issue with, but it leaves a lot open to interpretation.
HarryD

Post by HarryD »

Its not confusing at all if you read what their website clearly says rather than what other people have got away with in the past:

You have paid for a bike weighing up to 20kg. There is a maximum weight limit of 30kg for any one item of luggage so if you go over 20kg then you will be liable to pay for that difference. Simple

The check in staff do not always weigh bikes which is why some get away with higher weights. You may also get away with it but there is no guarantee. As you can only pay for the excess weight at the airport you risk paying the very high 'airport' rates rather than the pre-booked weights unless you wish to pay for an extra item of luggage in advance. The airport rate is £10/kg

If there are Ryanair staff on the check in counters/bag drop or whatever they are more likely to check. I've seen Ryanair staff at the boarding gate weigh cabin luggage and charge for anything over 5kg
onrbikes

Post by onrbikes »

Hey Harry

If there are Ryanair staff on the check in counters/bag drop or whatever they are more likely to check. I've seen Ryanair staff at the boarding gate weigh cabin luggage and charge for anything over 5kg

I thought it was 10KG for cabin baggage??

What we did was buy an extra 15kg bag but don't actually have one. If they do weigh it have an extra empty bag, tape and knife (that we'll throw away) and will put 15kg into the extra bag. Kinda like a £20 insurance as opposed to a £150 excess bill.
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

onrbikes wrote:Hey Harry

I thought it was 10KG for cabin baggage??

What we did was buy an extra 15kg bag but don't actually have one. If they do weigh it have an extra empty bag, tape and knife (that we'll throw away) and will put 15kg into the extra bag. Kinda like a £20 insurance as opposed to a £150 excess bill.

It is 10kg for cabin luggage. What bike weighs 20+Kg?
I've had Ryanair staff just ask me what the bike weighs.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

bigjim wrote:It is 10kg for cabin luggage. What bike weighs 20+Kg?

Its not neccesarily the bike that weighs 20kg - a cardboard bike box could weigh up to 5kg, some hard cases are closer to 10kg so when you've packed your 14/15kg tourer you could well be on that limit or over. One reason my tourer is under 10kg.

As a result Easyjet have increased their bike weight to 32kg which is more reasonable for something that isn't a racing whippet sensibly protected.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
ossie

Post by ossie »

the weight was 30kg, looks like they have recently reduced it to prevent people like me chucking tents / panniers and the rest in the bike box
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

I take the bike plus panniers, tent, sleeping bag, tools and b'bag in the cardboard box and it still comes in under the 20kg.
My bike is an old 531 steel Raleigh Royal. I don't know what people manage to take on tour that weighs so much. :)
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

bigjim wrote:I take the bike plus panniers, tent, sleeping bag, tools and b'bag in the cardboard box and it still comes in under the 20kg.
My bike is an old 531 steel Raleigh Royal. I don't know what people manage to take on tour that weighs so much. :)

I think i'll have to use your scales!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

foxyrider wrote:
bigjim wrote:I take the bike plus panniers, tent, sleeping bag, tools and b'bag in the cardboard box and it still comes in under the 20kg.

I think i'll have to use your scales!

Or my bike and gear. Oh and my philosophy :)

Ready to roll.
ossie

Post by ossie »

With your bike weighing over 14kg ? im struggling too see how a tent, bag, bar bag and two monstrous panniers (which i presume are full as per your pic) come in at less than 6kg.

Even a lightweight tent / mat and sleeping bag will probably use half that 6kg...come on give us a breakdown :D
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

Bike weighs 12kg [lightweight saddle, DT levers, no mudguards]. tent weighs 800g, mat is bubblewrap, down sleeping bag 800grams. Panniers 800grams. One set of clothes on, one set off. I carrry all my gear in a 110gram stuffsac as cabin luggage. My carry on weight is about 5kg so I could put the tent and sleeping bag in there if need be. The panniers and barbag are virtually empty in the cardboard box except for tent, tools and sleeping bag.
The bike pictured is loaded on tour. Not during the flight.
I need to go into detail on my blog I suppose.
onrbikes

Post by onrbikes »

Well I too need a little extra weight.

Credit card touring vs tenting.

We just flew and did 27kg per bike and a 15kg bag. The boxes themselves weighed 6kg (for 2)
Throw a cooker, tent, bags, mats tools (for a long 6 month tour finishing in India) toiletries, oh and the Thorn Ravens with front and rear panniers and the indestructible Marathon plus.
We're going through 4 seasons and have already hit hail on day 3.

Ryaniar didn't weigh the bikes but she was nice enough especially since we bought an extra 15kg bag that we didn't have. I asked her if she could give someone else a freebie, and she just laughed
HarryD

Post by HarryD »

Ooops! Earlier post was incorrect as several have already pointed out. Ryanair cabin weight limit is 10kg

Sorry

HarryD