Ryanair Bicycle weight??

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)

Re: Ryanair Bicycle weight??

Postby foxyrider » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:24 am

Last year i did get my bike and all my kit a little under 25kg - bike booked and everything else in one pannier as hand luggage. It was tight and required several repacks to get the weights right but also allowing for bulk and what you can't take as hand luggage! This year it won't be a problem as Easy have increased the weight of a bike!
Convention? what's that then?
User avatar
foxyrider
 
Posts: 1014
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:25 am
Location: Sheffield, South Yorkshire

Re: Ryanair Bicycle weight??

Postby vjosullivan » Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:38 pm

HarryD wrote:Ooops! Earlier post was incorrect as several have already pointed out. Ryanair cabin weight limit is 10kg

Ooh, that's tight. BA's cabin baggage weight limit is 23 kg in a cabin bag and another 23 in a smaller personal bag. My cabin bag weighed 16kg on my last trip and personal bag another 5. Unless you fill the bags with lead, I can't imagine breaking those weight limits. But, at least in theory, your total baggage allowance is 69 kg.
E22
vjosullivan
 
Posts: 403
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:06 am

Re: Ryanair Bicycle weight??

Postby andyh » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:33 pm

Just flown with Ryan air. The allowance for a bike is 30kg


Sporting or musical equipment including but not limited to large fishing rods, golf clubs, bikes* (bikes have a weight limit of 30 kilos), scooters, fencing equipment, pole vaults, javelin, surfboards, bodyboards, snowboards and skis and large musical instruments including but not limited to harps, double bass and drums are inherently unsuitable for carriage by airlines operating fast turnarounds such as Ryanair. However, these items may be carried in the hold of the aircraft in addition to your personal checked baggage allowance up to a limit of 20 kilos per item upon payment of a discounted online fee of £50/€50 per item, per one way flight. If the item is purchased at the airport or through a Ryanair call centre a higher fee of £60/€60 per item/per one way flight will apply). Any sporting and musical item weighing over the 20 kilos allowance will be charged for the excess at the applicable excess baggage rate per kilo.

From http://www.ryanair.com/en/terms-and-con ... kedbaggage.

They never asked what was in the box or even weigh it just asked how much it weighed
andyh
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:51 am

Re: Ryanair Bicycle weight??

Postby CJ » Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:02 pm

andyh wrote:Just flown with Ryan air. The allowance for a bike is 30kg


Sporting or musical equipment including but not limited to large fishing rods, golf clubs, bikes* (bikes have a weight limit of 30 kilos), scooters, fencing equipment, pole vaults, javelin, surfboards, bodyboards, snowboards and skis and large musical instruments including but not limited to harps, double bass and drums are inherently unsuitable for carriage by airlines operating fast turnarounds such as Ryanair. However, these items may be carried in the hold of the aircraft in addition to your personal checked baggage allowance up to a limit of 20 kilos per item upon payment of a discounted online fee of £50/€50 per item, per one way flight. If the item is purchased at the airport or through a Ryanair call centre a higher fee of £60/€60 per item/per one way flight will apply). Any sporting and musical item weighing over the 20 kilos allowance will be charged for the excess at the applicable excess baggage rate per kilo.

From http://www.ryanair.com/en/terms-and-con ... kedbaggage.

They never asked what was in the box or even weigh it just asked how much it weighed

But what you've copied merely repeats what be know already.

I think you're confusing 'allowance' with 'limit' - which is easily done when Ryanair themselves write of an "allowance up to the limit of"!
Chris Juden
One lady owner, never raced or jumped.
User avatar
CJ
Moderator
 
Posts: 2679
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:55 pm

Re: Ryanair Bicycle weight??

Postby rualexander » Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:11 pm

vjosullivan wrote:
HarryD wrote:Ooops! Earlier post was incorrect as several have already pointed out. Ryanair cabin weight limit is 10kg

Ooh, that's tight. BA's cabin baggage weight limit is 23 kg in a cabin bag and another 23 in a smaller personal bag. My cabin bag weighed 16kg on my last trip and personal bag another 5. Unless you fill the bags with lead, I can't imagine breaking those weight limits. But, at least in theory, your total baggage allowance is 69 kg.


That's interesting, cabin baggage was limited to around 6-10 kg for a few years, ostensibly due to the dangers of heavy bags falling out of the overhead lockers and hitting someone, this danger must now be unimportant if you can put a 23kg bag up in the locker. The bizarre world of airline regulations.
rualexander
 
Posts: 1724
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:47 pm

Re: Ryanair Bicycle weight??

Postby simonhill » Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:23 pm

I think hand luggage should be banned.

It is dangerous (heavy bags in flimsy overhead lockers).

It delays on and off loading the plane as passengers stumble with unmanageable loads and try and stuf them in inadequate lockers.

Flying out of Costa Rica a few years ago, I got chatting to a young woman who had white water rafted, etc,etc. When she opened the overhead locker, someone's luggage fell on her and she left the plane in a wheelchair.

I read that with safer planes, less crashes, etc, fatalities are down, however injuries are up, mainly due to hand luggage incidents.

If I can't take a safety razor on a plane, why should someone be able to take a10kg (potential) flying missile.

Airlines are encouraging hand luggage as a way of saving time and money, rather than handling it as checked baggage. So much for safety being a piority.

I fly in 2 days. Bike in box, panniers checked in, small soft shoulder bag for carry on.

Rant over.
simonhill
 
Posts: 846
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:28 am
Location: Essex

Re: Ryanair Bicycle weight??

Postby CJ » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:18 am

simonhill wrote:I fly in 2 days. Bike in box, panniers checked in, small soft shoulder bag for carry on.

Rant over.

Good man. :D

Good rant. :)
Chris Juden
One lady owner, never raced or jumped.
User avatar
CJ
Moderator
 
Posts: 2679
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:55 pm

Re: Ryanair Bicycle weight??

Postby jamesgilbert » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:57 pm

simonhill wrote:
If I can't take a safety razor on a plane, why should someone be able to take a10kg (potential) flying missile.


If by safety razor you mean this: http://www.nominedeus.co.uk/wp-content/ ... rBlade.jpg then I'd rather be attacked by a 10kg suitcase. If you mean a disposable razor, these are allowed in hand luggage.
User avatar
jamesgilbert
 
Posts: 196
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:25 pm
Location: Paris

Previous

Return to Touring & Expedition

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests