Penzance to Bristol

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
honesty

Penzance to Bristol

Post by honesty »

In July I'm planning on cycling from Penzance to Bristol along the Cornish Way and then the West Country Way (ish, I'm planning on missing out on the most obviously ridiculous Sustrans routing, and Newquay). The plan is 50 miles or so a day from Penzance to Taunton, then the final day from Bristol back to Taunton. So, what should I be looking out to stop at? Decent places to nose around, or eat? Any suggestions?
fossala

Re: Penzance to Bristol

Post by fossala »

My neck of the woods (also MickF, Sweats, Horizon and I'm sure a few more.).

What sort of thing are you looking to find? Something I find interesting may not interest you.
honesty

Post by honesty »

Well I'm pootling, so castles, nice cafes, interesting views, etc. I don't want to deviate to far from the course already plotted though. Basically anything I may have missed from just looking at various maps and online sources used to work out route and location of most of the cake shops...

Already planning at stopping at Heartlands for lunch on the first day and a bit of a wander round and photo taking for example.
honesty

Post by honesty »

I suppose routes would probably be useful for that so here you go:
day 1 - Penzance to St. Columb Major
day 2 - St. Columb Major to Bude
day 3 - Bude to Bratton Fleming
day 4 - Bratton Fleming to home
day 5 - Bristol to home (done this way round as I have to get back to pick up my daughter from nursery and I dont want to trust the trains in getting me there!)

Anything within about 5 miles of the end of each day I'd consider as a side outing after I've stopped at my nights accommodation as well
fossala

Post by fossala »

I'm more familiar with the south coast as that is where I live. Tintagel castle is worth a gander though.
www.tintagelcastle.co.uk

There is also Lanhydrock castle. A new cycleroute has just opened there as well.
www.nationaltrust.org.uk/lanhydrock

And Restormel castle but that would be a 5-10mile detour.
www.english-heritage.org.uk/daysout/pro ... mel-castle
honesty

Post by honesty »

Tintagel I have been to before - very nice and if I hadn't been recently I would definitely be detouring to!

Restormel and Lanhydrock would be perfect if I were taking the south route of the Cornish way, unfortunately I've already book accommodation on the north route (I'm also rather looking forward to fish and chips in Padstow, even if I will be there at 10 in the morning!). One thing though, I went to Cornwall on a school trip from Leicestershire when I was 10 and we stopped at a castle that still sticks in the memory. I've never been able to name it though until now. So thanks for that :)